• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Toyota 42-5fg-15 lpg problem

jimlad

I need a new coil for the propane system in my forklift but i'm clueless.. :confused:

it looks like this >

IMG_20150313_122716.jpgIMG_20150313_122749.jpg

if any helpful sole could provide me with a link to a relevant part that would be great.

Cheers
Jim

lantraxco

It's part of the valve/filter unit it's attached to, I can't read the make and numbers from the picture. Try posting that information stamped in the metal plate there, may be able to get a coil, might have to buy a complete valve, it's not anything unusual. Have you ohmed out the coil to be sure it's bad? Looks to me like a bad design, they're grounding the coil to the valve and then the fittings have teflon tape... should ground okay, but you never know. You have power to the coil, and verify the ground is good with a jumper wire maybe? Just curious.

jimlad

It's part of the valve/filter unit it's attached to, I can't read the make and numbers from the picture. Try posting that information stamped in the metal plate there, may be able to get a coil, might have to buy a complete valve, it's not anything unusual. Have you ohmed out the coil to be sure it's bad? Looks to me like a bad design, they're grounding the coil to the valve and then the fittings have teflon tape... should ground okay, but you never know. You have power to the coil, and verify the ground is good with a jumper wire maybe? Just curious.

Hi! thanks for your reply, I'm thinking you might have a point there with the grounding.. I might try grounding with a direct wire as there is a lot of teflon tape in between, but would that mean It never works?

Symptoms are after about 20 min intensive work the forklift starts to splutter, back fires, looses power and then eventually stalls and won't restart, but mysteriously works fine again if i leave it for 10-15 min, I thought it was an issue with some part expanding and letting air into the lpg system, but on another site it was suggested the coil needed replacing, i'm more than happy to replace the other part too..

Hope this picture helps otherwise i'll have a look on monday.

IMG_20150313_122734.jpg

lantraxco

Huh, I'm not finding anything on that unit, Google has let me down. There are about a hundred different makes of those cutoff valves with filter though. It could be the coil, it's possible you have a restriction somewhere between the tank and this valve, the filter inside this unit could possibly be plugged, etc. Does the convertor that this valve is attached to ice up at all?

For purposes of testing, keeping in mind it would be a safety violation to operate without this cutoff valve in the system, I would remove this valve and connect the hose directly to the convertor and try running it. If it then runs fine for an extended period, replace the whole valve they're not that expensive. If the problem still shows up then it's time to look at either the supply from tank, or the convertor. That's assuming it's not an ignition problem!

jimlad

Huh, I'm not finding anything on that unit, Google has let me down. There are about a hundred different makes of those cutoff valves with filter though. It could be the coil, it's possible you have a restriction somewhere between the tank and this valve, the filter inside this unit could possibly be plugged, etc. Does the convertor that this valve is attached to ice up at all?

For purposes of testing, keeping in mind it would be a safety violation to operate without this cutoff valve in the system, I would remove this valve and connect the hose directly to the convertor and try running it. If it then runs fine for an extended period, replace the whole valve they're not that expensive. If the problem still shows up then it's time to look at either the supply from tank, or the convertor. That's assuming it's not an ignition problem!

OK what I'll do is but another cut off, are there any numbers I need to worry about? 12v 8w for instance, multivalve or other such terms..

No ice by the way.

Cheers!

lantraxco

12 volt, for LPG (liquid propane) service, as long as the port sizes match up should be okay. Good luck!