• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Towing with wheel loader

Sean Gilligan

Hey y’all. I’m looking for an opinion on what hp and torque I should look for in a wheel loader that will be used to tow a 55ton trailer, GVW( boat hauling in yard) on flat ground. Thanks for the thoughts!

Delmer

I'd be most concerned about the weight of the machine doing the towing. I'm assuming you're not going very fast, or starting and stopping a lot:D

Dead level? hard surface or ground that gets soft? rigid trailer with weight on the hitch, or pivoting front axle with no tongue weight? trailer brakes?

Sean Gilligan

Not moving fast. Less than 5 mpg when loaded. Frequent stopping. Substantial toungue weight limited only by righting moment of the vehicle. No trailer breaks. Dead level ground. Hard pack gravel. Rigid trailer.