• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Towing a D5G

marka683

Occupation
Mechanic
Is there a way to release the drive on this dozer? I am trying to get it on the trailer, unit runs but I have no charge pressure only hydraulic functions. I would like to haul it to my shop for repair.

marka683

Occupation
Mechanic
Any chance you have a parts book for this dozer? S/N 5GPFDH00553

Thanks

MHDim

Occupation
Service Engineer
(Printed) part books can be ordered from your local Cat dealer, or occasionally found on ebay at modest prices. I'm not sure if there are any official part books in digital (pdf etc) format, apart from the information given in Cat SIS (Service Information System). But it would take a great amount of time to extract ALL the parts info for a certain machine from SIS, in order to obtain the equivalent of a digital parts book for the respective model.

In your case, the relevant s/n is just FDH00553.

What parts do you need...?

marka683

Occupation
Mechanic
looking for the coupler breakdown at the hydrostatic pump drive thought if I saw the breakdown i'd be able to determine if pulling the engine is the best approach to replacing the coupler.

marka683

Occupation
Mechanic
So what do you think, pull the engine or pull the pump to replace the nylon?

Bluox

That flywheel cover looks like it has motor mounts on it you might have to pull both at the same time. I've never replaced the pump drive on one of these but I have on a bunch of shovels and the gear on the pump is always wore out too and that's the expensive one 3 - 4 hundred $.You might call your Cat dealer and ask them.
Good luck
Bob

MHDim

Occupation
Service Engineer
So what do you think, pull the engine or pull the pump to replace the nylon?

I never performed this, but according to Cat, best approach is to remove the pump. See attached removal procedure.

Good luck!

Attachments

• FDH hydrostatic pump removal.pdf
    956.3 KB · Views: 19

marka683

Occupation
Mechanic
Decided to pull the engine and leave the pump hanging by a strap with a come-along. It worked well, the nylon is bad. Glad my diagnosis was correct. Thank you everyone for your help!!