• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Towing 11’3” wide

southernman13

Occupation
Retired
Not sure if this is the right section. I have a 11’3” wide 14k dirt pan to move from N Alabama to SW Ga. thinking of hauling it on my triple axle flat deck trailer. I know it will carry it no problem. I just don’t like going up and down them hills on I 65 and definitely don’t like the thought of going through Birmingham. That’s a terrible piece of road through there. Anyway I’m hauling as a private individual. Do I need a permit for daylight hrs. Or anything else special to move this pan. Thanks

JLarson

Occupation
Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
Maybe have it hauled by someone with experience in OS/OW loads? At 11' 3" you're def going to be an OS load.

southernman13

Occupation
Retired
I’m waiting on quotes now. Oh got experience in hauling theses loads. I used to be a trucker lol. We have a rig ourselves but we can’t cross that far into state lines. We have a farmers license. So I would be using a personal set up to get it.

Old Doug

In MO if you have farm plates you can do any thing you want to . I read a book from state farm insurance it said farm truck are exempt from most laws. I wish i steal had that book.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Oh come on our traffic in B'ham is not that bad..:oops:

You will need a permit to move in daylight hours. Permits are not expensive and rather easy to get although you'll need to provide the appropriate insurance.

There are 2 good heavy haul towing companies here I can recommend that are fair on their pricing. We use them to move our iron.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
After dark pull the signs and flags and first daylight stop eat breakfast and put them back on.

Doug I once got so close to going to jail for pulling a D6N with no permits on a tag trailer through Montgomery due to a detour on I-65 that I go by the rules when dealing with ALDOT..

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
When hauling OS loads or ones (my own stuff) that no matter what you do they just don't fit right on the trailer or missing right paperwork to move it I do it on Sundays and depends on the area if I skip the interstates or not.

suladas

Most places that width is no big deal, flags on widest part of load, wide load sign front and rear and small permit fee, here it's $15 for annual permit I believe.

It's amazing how many don't seem to know or care how it's suppose to be legally done. You see guys with the flags at the front and back of trailer but not widest part of load, strobes going on a 10' wide load, signs on when not overwidth, etc etc.

I always run flags on tracks of hoe, and wide load on rear, I only run on the front if i'm going on a 2 lane highway, the sign is totally useless driving in the city. I'm not technically legal at night, but trailer is 9'6" hoe is only 10'6", if someone is close enough to smack that tiny bit of track hanging off the side that's going to be the least of their worries.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
MO Farm tags will only get you 150 mile radius of home INSIDE the state, cross lines and rules all change where better off to hire a OS/OW hauler that has permits and contacts as to correct routes to use.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I went to purchase a farm tractor in my price range at a recommended reseller in IL(Cousin Suggestion), loaded the machine on my gooseneck behind my pickup with 18K B.L.(Beyond Local) MO Tags, was stopped twice by IL SHP checking to see if was actually performing commercial hauling but the receipt proved was our own machine. Correct paperwork, License and hauling practices as tying load down and secured properly make all the difference.

Old Doug

I work for a guy that did all kinds of stuff i wasnt a driver there but i drove some. The trucks were older but we kept them in great shape some of the trailers we built some were new demos we ran the best tires money could by. If he could a permit would be used on more than one load running after dark happen alot short trips without permits were common. I
MO Farm tags will only get you 150 mile radius of home INSIDE the state, cross lines and rules all change where better off to hire a OS/OW hauler that has permits and contacts as to correct routes to use.
I think the farm tags are a joke. Very few people know what they realy are all about most DMVs, Highway patrols and local cops couldnt tell you the rules. Alot of grain haulers run farm plates this is not legal but will save them alot of money.

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
I ran this from outside of Peoria, IL, to just east of Independence, MO earlier this year. Did purchase a TRP, and Fuel Permit but with farm exception the load was right at 12'4" which is legal. Talked to a MODOT officer just inside the state line when stopped for fuel and he commented on a job "Well Done" referring to load securement and banners for the type of trailer. I asked if he needed to see my permit(s) and his response was to the tune, "I know you're honest" and the conversation went no further other than he told me to be careful and watch for slick spots:

upload_2021-7-10_12-52-39.jpeg
upload_2021-7-10_12-52-59.jpeg
upload_2021-7-10_12-53-18.jpeg

I put that truck together from a 26' "Budgit" rental van taking 10' 6.5" out of the frame and rolling the axle forward.

suladas

That's exactly what i'm talking about, unless different places have different requirements, that is not a legal overwidth load here. The flags have to be on the widest part of the load. Not knocking you or anything, just wondering if maybe different places do it different?