• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Torque

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
I was just thinking random thoughts and went back to my old man. If he'd seen me pulling a bolt (any bolt) up to final tightness with a ratchet he'd have probably cut my hands off........
That may be so, but if it fits in the torque capacity of the ratchet, that's my preference.
Funny thing is I have broken more hinge type breaker bars than fine tooth ratchets. Most of my big stuff (3/4" and 1") is Proto or MAC the MAC 3/4" ratchet has a multi tooth engagement and has seen several 6-8' pipes on it. I know... not cool.
Got a few 1-1/2" drive tools too for the super torque stuff. An Autocrane and the hydraulic scale was good for torqueing Wabco 333F wheel bolts and a few other fasteners that required 3200 LB FT. :D

Orest Anhel

Use a 1 inch drive Snap-On click type torque wrench rated for 1000 ft/lds to torque and break torque on mast nut on Huey helicopters 520 to 780 ft/lb torque range. Have broken quality 3/4 drive gear breaking torque on these. The 1 inch drive is about 4 feet long and comes with a cheater about that long as well.