• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Torque Converter and...

Michael Caravaglia

This is what I was afraid of. it's very tight. I had to pound it on with a hammer. Now removing the pump is going to be a problem. I should have stopped when I saw how tight it was.

Michael Caravaglia

This is what I was afraid of. it's very tight. I had to pound it on with a hammer. Now removing the pump is going to be a problem. I should have stopped when I saw how tight it was.

Tinkerer

You may as well get another new bushing and start over again.
I would also suggest that you take the bushing to a machine shop and them make a proper driver for it. It would be similar to what is used to insert camshaft bushings in a block.
Pounded on the pump ? Oh-oh !

Michael Caravaglia

Were there seals on the stator shaft on the backside of pump? Maybe they got smashed.

No. Here's what happened. I should never have replaced this bushing. It's located inside the hollow shaft of the pump cover housing. It was suggested that I change the seal and the bushing while I had the tractor split apart. The seal was a breeze, but the bushing was very hard to remove and not much easier to put the new one in. It was tight, but I managed to get it in and it looked ok. Then, when I slid the whole assembly over the transmission shaft, it was extremely tight. I should have realized there was an issue and not proceeded further. A bad move, but I forced it all of the way on and bolted it down. Now I'm going to have to improvise to get this off. I'll probably have to replace the entire cover housing as I'm sure I'll ruin it getting it off.

I'm thinking of threading two of the holes in the cover housing and then using bolts to tighten down and force it back out enough to get a gear puller behind it. Otherwise I'll be cutting it off with a dremel.

Tinkerer

Don't beat yourself up over it Michael.
This is how we learn when we have no one next to us with experience helping.
You are still saving yourself a lot of money rather then take to a shop and have it done.
Keep in mind that when the new bushing is correctly installed it may need to be reamed for a proper fit. The lack of reaming may have been your problem.

Michael Caravaglia

Been a while since I reported in, so I thought I'd provide an update; especially since this will be my last post to this thread. I'd like to thank everyone that responded to my questions and for all of the help you provided me. I could not have gotten through this project without the knowledge and advice from this group.

The above said, I finally managed to get the transmission pump off the shaft, but not without destroying it. It was on so tight that I needed to cut it off with my dremel tool. Needless to say I had to get a new pump (another $250).

After sliding the new pump in place, I was able to put everything together without too much trouble and the machine started right up and purs like a kitten!

I'm now in the process of replacing all of the hydraulic hoses, as most are in pretty bad shape. Then I'll grease this baby up and put her to work!

mitch504

That's a great feeling, isn't it?
I have been doing this as all or part of my living for 35 years, and every time I do major work on a machine, I never expect it to run again. I have only had one that didn't, an old, old Onan on a welder.. It ran poorly when I took it apart, and didn't run at all when I put it back together. It didn't take the guy I gave it to 15 minutes to fix it.:oops:

56wrench

even a lot of experienced guys like me sometimes get nervous when we hit the starter after a major repair. did i forget to tighten something? did i miss something?, etc. even if you use a checklist. likely more so if the machine has been apart for a long time. consistent work habits help to alleviate some of that, especially the older you get.