• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Toro Dingo TX425 Muffler Bellows flex pipe keeps cracking

PeterG

Occupation
Landscape Construction, General Contractor
I have 1600 hours on my Dingo which I've had since 2012. Mostly a fantastic machine. However, my maintenance records show the muffler has been replaced five times. This last time in less than a year. Toro replaced it under warranty. The muffler itself is fine. The issue is the steel corrugated looking flex bellows pipe between the Kohler gas engine and the muffler. first question is what causes this to break? The engine has just been replaced, not bad motor mounts. Idle is 1275-1320. Maybe it's just bad quality. The muffler flex pipe breaking is a known Toro problem. I would like to get a cheap better fix as the mufflers are going up over $400 now. The two pipes are 1.5" dia on each side of the bellows. I tried to insert a piece of Surebilt flexible galvanize steel exhaust pipe with hose clamps and exhaust sealant. Wasn't going to work well. Would prefer to find steel flex bellows for 1.5" dia pipe and get someone to weld it in. The fancy stainless steel Car flex pipes don't look good either. Any ideas?

ianjoub

Is the muffler rubber mounted? Maybe too much flex from bad mounts? Maybe not enough flex from rigid mount muffler and rubber mount engine?

hosspuller

Just a thought ... Looks like the bellows is doing duty as an elbow. That uses some of the flex. Sort of like a spring that is compressed solid. Can you use a rigid elbow and keep the bellows straight?

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
Just a thought ... Looks like the bellows is doing duty as an elbow. That uses some of the flex. Sort of like a spring that is compressed solid. Can you use a rigid elbow and keep the bellows straight?
Yes. look at ultralight air-o-plane exhaust systems, they use a ball & socket with 3 springs.

PeterG

Occupation
Landscape Construction, General Contractor
Thanks for all the info. Yes, the muffler has no rubber mounts and the bellows is pretty much like an elbow. There is some talk of excessive exhaust heat or something (engine running lean, idle too high), engine isn't cooled off enough before the engine is shut down, but I think it is just vibration and design. Regarding the noise level, if you see slight exhaust coming out where the muffler pipe attaches to the engine header pipe, does that add to noise level? I tried some JB exhaust sealant before I put the clamp on. Is one clamp enough, or is two better?