• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Torched C15

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
Long story short the dipshit that was driving our mule train cooked the motor in it. He ran it out of water and overheated it to the point that it either killed a20190108_155545.jpg head gasket or cracked a head. Where is the best place to get caterpillar parts or a reman head? Also what is the cost to do an in-frame on one of these?

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Head is cracked I’m sure. Don’t ask me how I know......

Go to Cat for ALL the parts. Bite the bullet now. With the core charge and gaskets if memory serves it was about $5,000 to do my head (my free labor not included lol). It was a BXS so essentially the same, if not exact same head.

Going from memory I want to say $12-13k got a head, gaskets, cylinder kits etc to do an inframe. I could jump on sis here in a minute and verify. If you’re paying somebody to do the work I’d budget $20k. Not what you want to hear I’m sure. If you don’t know the history of it......do a balancer while you’re there.

Water pump of course. I’m sure seals are shot. I feel your pain.

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
Seals were shot in the water pump and I think that's how he pissed all the coolant out of it. Yes we are going to use caterpillar parts for sure and my company mechanic will do the work. Portland tractor has a reman caterpillar head with cat valves and Cat Springs for 3450 so you are right on track if you add in the gaskets and the other Mickey Mouse crap to hit about $5,000.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
If it got nuclear hot like that....I’d want to look close at liner O-rings etc. I made that mistake once and got to do some work twice :).

If liners look good maybe drop the pan and roll some bearings in. Maybe pop liners out and see how the o-rings look. I’d hate to be halfway and not check if you know what I mean!

pushbroom

X2 on pulling the liners and re sealing the o rings. Cheap to do now rather then later. Once Cats heat up they always seem to crack the head.
We did have a Paccar engine go up past 250f when it was doing a regen and wouldnt engage the fan due to programming errors. Tech looked out the door and saw coolant jetting out the overflow. Killed the regen and kicked the fan on. Trucks still on the road and that was 5 years ago. Apparently the composite graphite can really take some heat!

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
That is a fact, a caterpillar just cannot take Heat. That's the biggest killer of a cat.

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
Are there any limitations or exceptions on those warranties? If our company mechanic installed the inframe kit would it still be warrantied?

pushbroom

It has to be done at a certified cat dealer for the 4 years on a rebuild. If your mechanic installs it its just 1yr on parts. Dealers also get warranty on inspected parts like cam, crank and block.