• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

topcon systems

typ4

Occupation
Equipment mechanic for a small company.
Anyone here know where to get parts for these?
thanks
my son will give details soon.

typ4

Occupation
Hello,

Typ4's son here.

To elaborate:

I am working on two Topcon HiperLite + Units that also have a FC-100 handheld unit to talk with.

Both of the HiperLite+ are 'functioning' however the service facility wants some serious bucks to throw parts at these units to make them fully operational.

I have both powering up however neither of them will acquire a fix (outdoors or otherwise). One of them can see satellites however it still blinks red and never green (flashes number of sats it sees).

Are these GPS engine boards that likely to fail? Both of the antennas appear to be functional and the replace place showed that the following needed replacement:

Unit 1:
PCB Turbo Board
Minter
Batteries
Antenna

Unit 2:
Lower Cover
Power board
Radio 915 PC Board
PCB Turbo board
Batteries
Antenna

I already sourced two new 915Mhz antennas (the old ones had failing coax inside), both of the batteries are fine in both units (held charge and ran to spec.)

They thought one of the MINTER boards was bad however the problem was some light corrosion on the power PCB. I cleaned this off and the unit then powered on fine (but still no sat tracking on either).

Any words of wisdom? I upgraded the firmware in both units and have tried all the tricks in the manuals to make them fully restart/cold start.

IF these units are actually failed, is it worth staying with this system or is there a better recommendation for a used system out there? They're asking serious bucks to repair these units (parts are silly expensive) and if the HiperLite+ are decent quality, I can just buy another pair off ebay and have these repaired on the slow. Any reasonable recommendations on places to have these repaired at a more reasonable rate? I'm happy to install boards however I am not sure if there is some fancy proprietary stuff that the service facility would be doing to get the 'new' replacement parts operating.

Thank you in advance for any wisdom.

Cheers,

typ4

Occupation
Anyone, dealer, parts source something???

brianbulldozer

Did you contact the Topcon dealer in Portland? theppigroup.com They were very supportive when I installed a Topcon System 4 on a grader a few years back, even though I didn't purchase anything from them.

typ4

Occupation