• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Topcon laser on bobcat grader

AzIron

LS did you get running yet

I run a topcon system 5 with 2 recievers on a deere and levels best works pretty good we get close to 20,000 sq ft a day to within 1/4 inch with a guy that has about 8 months experience fine grading so that's a huge win.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Is this the GB124 that you mentioned in your thread CM?
If so, how are you finding it?

I think it's the BB124. It's not the newer "smart" blade. Bought it back in 2018 for a warehouse expansion job.

This blade works fantastic for fine grading pads. Once you bench the blade and account for the compaction loss in the material being graded that blade can keep 1/2" or better tolerance depending on material as fast as a 279D will go.

That blade is what pushed into GPS on our D3 and then 325. The production gains of that little box blade fine grading a 50K SF pad and placing DGB for the slab was impressive to say the least.

It's for sale as we've outgrown it but I'd imagine shipping would be a bugger to Down Under. :)

What's next on the list is a smart grader blade with GPS and new CTL. That will allow us to use a CTL to fine grade parking lots without having to mob in the D3.

Last edited:

Queenslander

We’re pricing one at the moment, along with the new 255 CTL.
We have Topcon 2D on our graders, so hoping we can use those receivers on the new blade.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
We’re pricing one at the moment, along with the new 255 CTL.
We have Topcon 2D on our graders, so hoping we can use those receivers on the new blade.

What do you plan on using it for? We have Trimble/Cat branded receivers and dual plane laser.

Queenslander

Just shed pads, around feedlots, cattle yards, house hold driveways etc.
Basically, areas that are too tight for a full size grader.
No need for 3D at this stage.
They have blades in stock now but the loaders are two months away….at least.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
The 2018 model box blade we have now works great for that type of work. It can be set up for flat plane, single slope or dual slope depending on the laser's capability.

Cat dealer has a demo day for the new CTL's May 9th. I'd like to go but I'll be 3 hrs away on a project we are about to start and not ready to swap either 279D at the moment.

Last edited:

Queenslander

I guess the main reason we are looking at the GB is that we are coming from a grader background.
It does have those little wings that swing forward to help carry material something like a box blade.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
I think you will be happier with the grader blade rather than the box blade coming from a full size grader. The box blade is nice for spreading stone on pads but has very little side to side articulation. A grader blade would work better for us clipping final grade on small parking lots and such.

The new 265 Cat's look interesting.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation

I just brought one of these home. We are putting 3D on it, Topcon according to the OEM seems to have the best system for this, so that is what we are going with, using a total station. We will put it on the Minitour.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation

I just brought one of these home. We are putting 3D on it, Topcon according to the OEM seems to have the best system for this, so that is what we are going with, using a total station. We will put it on the Minitour.

Congrats! Let us know how it goes.