• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Topcon hiper pro

Cummins5.9

hey I’m looking at buy A Hiper Pro base and rover and was instrested to see if you guys thought it was to old to use?

And since it’s rtk gps and glonass will it work with the newer machine control?

805DirtDog

Occupation
Forman
Should. I wouldn't want anything older than a fc500 data collector though. I use the hyper V and fc500 combo and love it.

SurveyorGPS2019

I've used only the Topcon GR-5 with the FC-5000 data collector. I've also used the Trimble SPS986 and SPS985; both 450 MHz and 900mhz systems. I've used thier newer TSC7 controller via SiteWorks software.

Out of both systems, I get more production done with Topcon than Trimble. If your looking to do more without requiring having a laptop on hand all the time, use Topcon.

Trimble highly demands you have thier Trimble Business Center app along with a license for it to work for you. I get so fustrated with Trimble, that sometimes I just want to throw it on the ground and stomp on it. I've even designed some software that I plan to sell that increases productivity using thier new SiteWorks program. I've trained new users to use thier software and they agree that my third party app helps increase production and reduce mistakes you make while staking out a thousand points a day or more.

Trimble does not crash as often as Topcon, but I'd take Topcon any day over Trimble. You can just do more with Topcon than you can with Trimble.

I'm just a Lead Surveyor for a large construction company. I don't get a choice on what we use each project, but I do let them know we can increase productivity with Topcon vs Trimble, especially while doing multiple stake out points per day for the drills. They tell me the pile hammers they use determine what GPS system we use for each solar project.

I program software on the side as a hobby. I use Delphi 10.2.3 as if right now for programming in Android and Windows. As soon as I get my program more user friendly, works without fault, etc. I'll research to see if I can sell it legally first, then post it everywhere. It doesn't "hack" or reverse engineer any code of the application SiteWorks, so I'm almost sure I can probably sell it. It does increase production by at least 50%. Topcon can do it already and doesn't need my fix.

I plan to create a software application A.I.(artificial intelligence) for Trimble SiteWorks so that it auto stake out the next point you go to as your waking to the next point without you pressing anything on the data collector. I don't understand why both Topcon or Trimble software can not do this yet. I'll make software for both of them. That'll be later down the road.

Overall, Topcon is a better choice in my book any day, even if its software crashes every hour. It can out perform Trimble on every aspect, especially production.

Sorry this doesn't answer your main question as I've not used Hiper Pro before. I just wanted to say all these things.

nerdstick_joe

hey I’m looking at buy A Hiper Pro base and rover and was instrested to see if you guys thought it was to old to use?

And since it’s rtk gps and glonass will it work with the newer machine control?

After April 2019 (when the GPS rollover happened), Topcon put a lot of older units in the "Legacy" catagory or completely phased them out of support. The Hiper Pros are under the phased out category. Topcon will no longer support it with parts or software/firmware updates. An important factor I've found in using GNSS base/rover is the level of support I can get from Topcon and the dealer. If they can't support it, then I'm out of luck when things start going out. I'd recommend looking at Hiper V's or even the GR5s. They're the previous gen models Topcon made, and you could typically find good deals on ebay OR ask a dealer for any deals on used/previously rented equipment. The Hiper VR, SR, and HR are the newest models of GNSS base/rovers. Unless you can find a setup for dirt cheap (think around $15k or less), and you're ok using until they break, I'd save your money for something that will last longer, is up to date on firmware, and has parts available for service.

PWR

Occupation
Land Improvement Contractor
I've used only the Topcon GR-5 with the FC-5000 data collector. I've also used the Trimble SPS986 and SPS985; both 450 MHz and 900mhz systems. I've used thier newer TSC7 controller via SiteWorks software.

Out of both systems, I get more production done with Topcon than Trimble. If your looking to do more without requiring having a laptop on hand all the time, use Topcon.

Trimble highly demands you have thier Trimble Business Center app along with a license for it to work for you. I get so fustrated with Trimble, that sometimes I just want to throw it on the ground and stomp on it. I've even designed some software that I plan to sell that increases productivity using thier new SiteWorks program. I've trained new users to use thier software and they agree that my third party app helps increase production and reduce mistakes you make while staking out a thousand points a day or more.

Trimble does not crash as often as Topcon, but I'd take Topcon any day over Trimble. You can just do more with Topcon than you can with Trimble.

I'm just a Lead Surveyor for a large construction company. I don't get a choice on what we use each project, but I do let them know we can increase productivity with Topcon vs Trimble, especially while doing multiple stake out points per day for the drills. They tell me the pile hammers they use determine what GPS system we use for each solar project.

I program software on the side as a hobby. I use Delphi 10.2.3 as if right now for programming in Android and Windows. As soon as I get my program more user friendly, works without fault, etc. I'll research to see if I can sell it legally first, then post it everywhere. It doesn't "hack" or reverse engineer any code of the application SiteWorks, so I'm almost sure I can probably sell it. It does increase production by at least 50%. Topcon can do it already and doesn't need my fix.

I plan to create a software application A.I.(artificial intelligence) for Trimble SiteWorks so that it auto stake out the next point you go to as your waking to the next point without you pressing anything on the data collector. I don't understand why both Topcon or Trimble software can not do this yet. I'll make software for both of them. That'll be later down the road.

Overall, Topcon is a better choice in my book any day, even if its software crashes every hour. It can out perform Trimble on every aspect, especially production.

Sorry this doesn't answer your main question as I've not used Hiper Pro before. I just wanted to say all these things.

PWR

Occupation

SurveyorGPS2019 you helped to answer my question of which is better and easier to use the Topcon or Trimble. We have been using Topcon Hyperlite for past 10 years. Are planning on going to new system and use for machine control. Not that happy with Topcon dealer and are considering changing to Trimble. One who uses the system is very hesitant to change because of having to learn new system. Sounds like from your point of view the TopCon is better anyway. Are you familiar with the operation of the two newer systems for machine control of a dozer? We use is for staking and topo now.

nerdstick_joe

SurveyorGPS2019 you helped to answer my question of which is better and easier to use the Topcon or Trimble. We have been using Topcon Hyperlite for past 10 years. Are planning on going to new system and use for machine control. Not that happy with Topcon dealer and are considering changing to Trimble. One who uses the system is very hesitant to change because of having to learn new system. Sounds like from your point of view the TopCon is better anyway. Are you familiar with the operation of the two newer systems for machine control of a dozer? We use is for staking and topo now.

Topcon's motto: It just works.
Trimble's motto: If you want to do it, you can't.

All kidding aside, both systems essentially do the same thing. The difference is in the approach and mindset both companies have towards their products. Topcon began their products in the field, equipping guys in the field to be productive, and figuring out what works best for the guy setting grade and pushing dirt. Trimble is well known for their computer software, and for good reason. However, when it comes to their field software, I've heard from other guys in the local operators/engineers that there's a lot of redtape for basic functions. On top of the multitude of file types that don't jive between machine and rover. They may change that in the future, haven't heard any updates on that yet. What two newer systems for machine control are you referring to?

PWR

Occupation
Topcon's motto: It just works.
Trimble's motto: If you want to do it, you can't.

All kidding aside, both systems essentially do the same thing. The difference is in the approach and mindset both companies have towards their products. Topcon began their products in the field, equipping guys in the field to be productive, and figuring out what works best for the guy setting grade and pushing dirt. Trimble is well known for their computer software, and for good reason. However, when it comes to their field software, I've heard from other guys in the local operators/engineers that there's a lot of redtape for basic functions. On top of the multitude of file types that don't jive between machine and rover. They may change that in the future, haven't heard any updates on that yet. What two newer systems for machine control are you referring to?
We are looking at a Hiper V Base/Rover Receiver Kit with Topcon GX-55 Display, Topcon 3D-MC2 Machine Control Kit. We have had good luck with our HiperLite plus but have not used it with machine control. This will be our first dealing with machine control.

nerdstick_joe

We are looking at a Hiper V Base/Rover Receiver Kit with Topcon GX-55 Display, Topcon 3D-MC2 Machine Control Kit. We have had good luck with our HiperLite plus but have not used it with machine control. This will be our first dealing with machine control.

Nice! That's a solid setup. Not sure what machine you're running the 3DMC2 system on, but it rocks on a dozer!

PWR

Occupation
Very nice! Let me know how you like or of any problems you run into. Always glad to talk GPS with folks
Nerdstik_joe we ended up putting the system on a D5K2. We are not real pleased with the install on top of the front of the dozer. Do you have any pictures or information where we could some ideas on different ways to have wires coming out front? Looks like the installer put a Topcon box on top of the factory Trimble box. Not really sure but would like to find something a little neater. I tried Topcon's website but could not come up with anything.

nerdstick_joe

@PWR Can you send some photos of what the install looks like? I have a D5 and D6 locally I've worked on. Waiting on photos from the operator.

I know that the installs I've done, we've tried to use as much of what is already there. I know for a fact though that most of all GPS machine control systems have the coax cables run to the top of the nose, and that's where you plug your coil cords into. Most of the new kits from Topcon come with a special junction box that's supposed to make the install neater, and easier for connections. If they put it on top of the Trimble box I could see how that wouldn't look very good.

PWR

Occupation
@PWR Can you send some photos of what the install looks like? I have a D5 and D6 locally I've worked on. Waiting on photos from the operator.

I know that the installs I've done, we've tried to use as much of what is already there. I know for a fact though that most of all GPS machine control systems have the coax cables run to the top of the nose, and that's where you plug your coil cords into. Most of the new kits from Topcon come with a special junction box that's supposed to make the install neater, and easier for connections. If they put it on top of the Trimble box I could see how that wouldn't look very good.

He cut a hole in the top of the Trimble box and mounted the Topcon box on top of it. Not sure if you could remove the risers on the Topcon box or not. The wiring is not real flexible. The original hole in the dozer hood is fairly large but does not match the Topcon box. You would think that Topcon would have a box that would fit in the place of the Trimble box. I have to assume our Topcon dealer did the best he could. Do you know anyway to contact Topcon directly? I Googled it but did not come up with a good way to contact anyone. I sure appreciate your help. Maybe the operator will come up with some good photos.

Attachments

• IMG_2351.jpg
    IMG_2351.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2352.jpg
    IMG_2352.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2353.jpg
    IMG_2353.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2354.jpg
    IMG_2354.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 33

PWR

Occupation
nerdstick-joe do you have a part number for the new kit Topcon special junction box that is supposed to make the install neater? I am going to get the number off of the box used.

nerdstick_joe

nerdstick-joe do you have a part number for the new kit Topcon special junction box that is supposed to make the install neater? I am going to get the number off of the box used.

Yea that install doesn't look good at all! The least he could have done was remove the Trimble junction box, and bolt or weld a flat plate in its place. Then mount the Topcon junction box to the flat plate...

9434-0000 This is the part number for just the junction box. Is this what you're looking for?

PWR

Occupation
9434 is what we have. Installer said wires would not make the turn without raising up the 9434 Topcon junction box. He cut hole in the top of Trimble box then put risers under Topcon box. We are going to try removing the risers and mounting the Topcon box on top of Trimble box. If that doesn't work we will fabricate something.
Did you ever get any pictures of a D5K2 mount? I guess D3 or 4K2 would be the same.