• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Flat Thunder Channel

Good Morning! I was part of a discussion regarding tools in another thread. I really enjoyed talking about tools in the other post. Name one unique tool you really enjoy that is out of the ordinary. A tool you started using that was never thought of before, but after the first use deemed illreplacable. I also enjoy discussing good quality tools, specifically American made tools! Let's see where this thread leads.

dozr

Occupation
excaving
vetech 63 you are my kind of mechanic, get job done do what you have to , my hat is off to you. so many do not think outside the box.a mechanic job is not cut and dry, some time you have to reengineer to get it done, that is what makes a mechanic.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
My father's tool box has a combination wrench he made for getting bolts on the back side of a starter. Probably more if I looked through it. I have made pullers or presses with threaded rods, and sockets and washers.

Flat Thunder Channel

Mentioning pullers, I really like my posi-lock puller. It is made in America and it is really convenient to use. It has a cage over the puller jaws that locks them in position to prevent them from slipping off the part. When I first made this post I did not think of custom tools. I will have to think about the ones I created over the years. Most of them like vetech 63 are only good for a specific purpose / use.

hosspuller

I've a question on sockets … Why 12 point sockets over 6 point sockets for hex heads ?... (This isn't about Torx, or triple square, or spline drives.) Seems like the 12 point has less grip than the 6 point. My six point sockets are no thicker than the 12's Never have rounded a bolt with the 6 point but have slipped a few 12 points.

Flat Thunder Channel

I've a question on sockets … Why 12 point sockets over 6 point sockets for hex heads ?... (This isn't about Torx, or triple square, or spline drives.) Seems like the 12 point has less grip than the 6 point. My six point sockets are no thicker than the 12's Never have rounded a bolt with the 6 point but have slipped a few 12 points.

They also have specialty sockets which are called surface drive. They are kind of like 6 point sockets, but they slide on the hex easier and have a radius area that contacts all the flats in the middle of the hex. I have only used these in industrial applications, but they work great! Apex makes them as well as others.

Truck Shop

My favorite tool I made-neutral lock for Eaton transmissions. Keeps the sliding clutches in neutral when standing transmission to vertical position, for ease of installing rear section and setting pre-load
on counter shafts in rear section.

015.JPG

Truck Shop

These two adapters-one for drums and drive lines the other for inboard hubs [mainly disc brakes}. The one for drums gets used every day, it's 30 years old and has removed and installed
thousands of drums. The jack was $110.00 bucks and is 18 years old. And for installing or removing a drive line it works perfect.

009.JPG 005 (4).JPG

crane operator

Name one unique tool you really enjoy that is out of the ordinary. A tool you started using that was never thought of before, but after the first use deemed illreplacable. I also enjoy discussing good quality tools, specifically American made tools! Let's see where this thread leads.

See- I was 11 and the newest Sears catalog had showed up. Somehow it fell open to the lingerie section.

I was------ never mind.......

Ct Farmer

Being a third generation tool junkie I have quite a collection of things. Some quite unique, some I have no idea what their original purpose was. Like others, I’ve made dozens of “special” tools to get things done . Many are ugly but effective.

I have to say though that one of the best things I have is a cheap $39 inspection camera. That thing has saved me more hassle and helped me retrieve more lost/dropped items than anything else. Like the bolt that fell and bounced just right to go in the small hole on the bellhousing on the 3304. Camera and a homemade magnet wire. Good to go.

Just today when trying to get pump off the excavator. Manual says - Step 1: Remove counterweight. Are they serious? Thing weighs 17,000 lbs.!

Get camera, fish around for a few minutes, weave my arm between intake runners and after a few choice words about engineers I have the bolt out without ever laying eyes directly on it.

Flat Thunder Channel

These two adapters-one for drums and drive lines the other for inboard hubs [mainly disc brakes}. The one for drums gets used every day, it's 30 years old and has removed and installed
thousands of drums. The jack was $110.00 bucks and is 18 years old. And for installing or removing a drive line it works perfect.

View attachment 217038 View attachment 217039

Genius! My only floor jack invention was a 7/8" socket (because it fit in the jack plate hole) bolted to a flat board. We used it as a transmission jack for light duty trucks and cars. After wrestling with transmissions like this for years we finally bought a real transmission jack. It works like a dream and having adjustment knobs for the angle is awesome. We were living high class! Go figure after we bought the real transmission jack it was only used one or two times. The old board model got way more use than the specialty jack ever did!

Flat Thunder Channel

Being a third generation tool junkie I have quite a collection of things. Some quite unique, some I have no idea what their original purpose was. Like others, I’ve made dozens of “special” tools to get things done . Many are ugly but effective.

I have to say though that one of the best things I have is a cheap $39 inspection camera. That thing has saved me more hassle and helped me retrieve more lost/dropped items than anything else. Like the bolt that fell and bounced just right to go in the small hole on the bellhousing on the 3304. Camera and a homemade magnet wire. Good to go.

Just today when trying to get pump off the excavator. Manual says - Step 1: Remove counterweight. Are they serious? Thing weighs 17,000 lbs.!

Get camera, fish around for a few minutes, weave my arm between intake runners and after a few choice words about engineers I have the bolt out without ever laying eyes directly on it.

What you don't have lift handy to sit that weight aside? Just kidding. I am a mechanical engineer, but probably one of minority who actually wrenches on things. Shhh don't tell everyone they might shun me from their bad experiences with engineers. My dad has an inspection camera. I will have to remember that next time I get in a tight space. I use my telescopic magnet all the time. Buying one with 16lbs of pull was a game changer.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I built a lifting bracket for the saddlebags on my Goldwing. It beats pulling each bag off separately and then the frame they are attached to. It makes changing the rear tire by myself pretty easy and a lot quicker. I'll get a photo later today.

Flat Thunder Channel

I have few custom items I created that come to mind. I turned down multiple deep well sockets for electrical components with fasteners in deep counter bores and no room for a standard socket. It is typically for ford ignition modules. Why design it for a standard socket when you can sell a custom one. I have shortened sockets to fit in tight places and made custom offset wrenches for different applications. I will try and catch a few pictures of the small things I created after work today. One notable tool I use a lot, more so in construction projects, is my heavy duty mixer for my 1/2" drill. it works great for drywall compound and even mortar.