• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JLarson

Occupation
Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
We have Milwaukee and Makita 18 volt saws, the M18 fuel saws are animals with a good demo/framing blade. That along with a cordless miter is all we use building forms.

56wrench

A couple years ago I got a milwaukee 7 1/4” M18 saw and I love it. No cord to throw it off balance and catch on stuff:)

DIYDAVE

If you want something to go with that cordless circular saw, take a look at this:

I bought a WRX 103" clamp, the saw guide, and 2 clamps at Lowe's for about $107. WRX Is slightly different, in both the guide and clamp, but damn does that thing cut straight!;)

suladas

I worked at a shop that got an expensive new radiagraph for cutting steel. First thing they did was cut the power cord short so if the cord happened to get in the way or burn't, it was the extension cord that took the hit and not the power cord on the tool.

That makes no sense to me. If it got damaged just put a new end on it shorter, how does it matter if the saw cord or an extension cord gets damaged?

My skillsaw has a 1' cord now because someone may have damaged it while cutting, may have been me. I do kinda prefer it that length though, it's nicer not having a long cord to wrap around it.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
That makes no sense to me. If it got damaged just put a new end on it shorter, how does it matter if the saw cord or an extension cord gets damaged?

I'm thinking that it was done that way as just about any job site will have a few spare extension cords laying around but maybe not have a replacement cord end.

And if the site is like some MSHA regulated sites they might get in trouble if just anyone was to be caught repairing a cord end on a tool.

crane operator

I remember milwaukee also having that set up. It had a quick disconnect cord that would fit the saw and drill and other electrical tools. Have problems with the cord and you could just quick swap out.

I don't know if its still available or not. I never had a saw with it, but I had a drill set up that way.

And like khansen says, its a great set up for inspectors. Everything sealed and factory.

Tyler d4c

I'm thinking that it was done that way as just about any job site will have a few spare extension cords laying around but maybe not have a replacement cord end.

And if the site is like some MSHA regulated sites they might get in trouble if just anyone was to be caught repairing a cord end on a tool.
No just toss a piece of belt over it be as good as new there's a factory end on that cord nothing to see here ;)

Old Doug

I remember milwaukee also having that set up. It had a quick disconnect cord that would fit the saw and drill and other electrical tools. Have problems with the cord and you could just quick swap out.

I don't know if its still available or not. I never had a saw with it, but I had a drill set up that way.

And like khansen says, its a great set up for inspectors. Everything sealed and factory.
I got 2 milwaukee drills from a scrap clean up.One is a 3/8 with a regulare cord the other is 1/2 with that replaceable cord and it is missing .The cord is $35.00. I riged it up and it didnt sound that great if i had a cord i would send it off and have it repaired for $100.00.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
With cordless tools it's a game changer out here, you aren't stretching a cord a mile away to do a project, I'm not dragging a generator that mile either and for when it's cloudy or less than desirable weather for getting solar. When the sun shines charge the cordless tool batteries and when it doesn't they will run until then. Now we just need a charge controller capable of charging them directly since so much energy is loss no matter if you are on or off grid living.

Out here sun hits solar panels DC (+/-21% efficient), energy is transferred to charge controller which some is loss in the lines (1-3% drop), then from there it goes to the batteries which energy is now loss in the charge control (+/-5%) and the cables that go to the battery (1-3% drop) which then goes through more cables (1-3% drop) to inverter AC (94% efficient) which then must go through more lines to your plug you plug a battery charger into (1-3% drop) which then more is is dropped as your battery charger inverts it back to DC and one can only surmise how efficient those are. Sure there is factors of voltage drop or loss but it's an estimate.
I know it will never happen as the market is so slim for it with a plug being everywhere.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
At my age and with the corded tools i already have, it was far less expensive to purchase a 1,500 watt inverter generator. It will run multiple tools at once and at full output for about six hours. If I have to drill multiple big holes in a piece of steel, I don't have to worry that the drill has enough power or that the battery will go dead after twenty minutes of run time. Were I less than forty years old I would probably have every battery tool that was available.

Welder Dave

Exactly! It's all about production. When you have 2 or 3 guys working on a project you can't afford to have them standing around waiting for a cord to get repaired. If an extension gets damaged, you can grab another one and there's not a panic to get the damaged one repaired right now.

Welder Dave

It would be nice if cordless tools and the batteries weren't so expensive. It's odd that some cordless tools lack power compared to their corded counterparts but other cordless tools like impact wrenches have way more torque than corded guns and even more torque than air impact wrenches. The highest torque models can cost $300 just for the tool and then a good battery can cost over $100 cad. If you need one on a regular basis, they are the cat's meow but for occasional use, it's hard to justify the cost.

suladas

All my corded tools have been sitting on the shelf for years unused because for the odd job cordless is so much easier. Now with a shop i'm getting in the habit of using the corded tools for shop stuff as they are so much cheaper to replace. But even for a die grinder it's so easy to grab the cordless, instead of firing up the compressor and dragging around a hose.

suladas

It would be nice if cordless tools and the batteries weren't so expensive. It's odd that some cordless tools lack power compared to their corded counterparts but other cordless tools like impact wrenches have way more torque than corded guns and even more torque than air impact wrenches. The highest torque models can cost $300 just for the tool and then a good battery can cost over $100 cad. If you need one on a regular basis, they are the cat's meow but for occasional use, it's hard to justify the cost.

This was a bit ago but I got dewalt 5 amp battery for $70 each. I use them for everything. Even the chainsaw and weed whacker are so handy. No more gas as it's such a pain because I use them so rarely.