• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

crane operator

Its for knocking off dayton wire wheel centers. Ebay knows your rollin in your 24" hooptie wheels in that dropped '84 cutlass

4-wheels-13-wire-wheels-100-spokes-13x7-reverse-chrome-rims-tires-impala
Dg-v39vnB9STRVGRNHCriQ6TpHd5RLT1AL6-5FFCfhKih5XVXuh6qKRDsUPN_mCcPFxiL9hBfwprDOAtDyCDyIEvYWbZBmQtVHOGP8OjBlUFXx3DEfdR9rkf3LVup4tQphtalp9M

Flat Thunder Channel

Its for knocking off dayton wire wheel centers. Ebay knows your rollin in your 24" hooptie wheels in that dropped '84 cutlass

Haha hooptie that's great! I have never dealt with these wheel centers before, but it makes sense...... Speaking of wheel center covers.

Has anyone found a tool to remove the lug nut caps on F250 wheels? A pry bar or screwdriver works fine, but I like to remove them without damaging the finish top coat on the aluminum. Previously I have always just gripped them by hand to pull them off. I have seen guys in the Ford garages use a folded up plastic lid before. I am noticing my gripping power isn't quite as good as it used to be.

Flat Thunder Channel

My friends and family were nice enough to set me up with a couple new tools for Christmas . Thank you everyone who enjoyed exchanging gifts with me. It's a nice gesture that certainly wasn't required. Your friendly face and companionship was the real gift this year.

I received a few specialty tools that I'm itching to try out. The first is a pretty basic tool, but I never had one previously. It is a ratcheting crimp tool for crimped connectors. Hopefully I can make solid connections without destroying the plastic insulators. I used it for the first time last night while working on my 520 Wheelhorse garden tractor. So far I like it! I'm excited to use it on other projects. This was also my first go at using heat shrink connectors. They are pretty nice, but I need a better attachment for the end of the heat gun.

Did anyone else get some new tools over the holiday?

IMG_20210111_121909_935.jpg IMG_20210111_121909_936.jpg

aighead

I don't know if it counts as a tool but I went out and became Prepper Level 2.0 over the weekend after buying a generator that should keep the whole house running should the power go out. We haven't ran the lines into the house to be able to run the house proper yet, but that should be done shortly. I went the Harbor Freight route with pretty beefy 9000 watt model and ran it through its break-in period. It looks like a decent machine though I'm always nervous about Chinese HF stuff. Reviews were good and hopefully I don't need it... Theoretically, I can run a 240 welder off it too, right?

alaskaforby4

Occupation
Owner Operator
Hydraulic cylinder piston nut removal tool. Made out of chunk of I beam, various holes cut for different lengths and sizes of cylinder. The torque multiplier is 1:64 lug nut removal tool, works well for stuff under 4000 ft/lb those seal benders mentioned above are a awesome investment!ADACF2A6-6599-4B7E-A22B-ABB9BBE19903.jpeg

alaskaforby4

Occupation
Owner Operator
Good idea! What keeps it from flipping over? Do you stand on it or clamp it down somehow?
The Pin goes through the eye of the ram up top there and is cantilevered. It has enough weight to stop from spinning. On a 966 lift ram we did have to get a little more creative to hold it down. The lock nut broke free at around 5000 lbs. Currently we are going to tackle some king pins on a KW dump truck, Going to make a small press to get them out, ill post pics of that "custom tool" as well!

Flat Thunder Channel

100%, without s shred of doubt would be the Power Probe. The inventor of these, should be a millionaire.

I never heard of these until now. Looks like a neat tool. If I understand correctly it is an advanced multi meter with the ability to supply ground/positive feeds for testing purposes. Sweet!

I made a similar tool several years ago (probably 15 plus years ago). It's an old Maxwell House metal coffee can. Inside it has a relay configured and hooked to a switch. It has four sets of alligator clips and long leads. The theory.... Hookup up one set of leads to the battery +/-. The second set is used to manually energize circuits on the vehicle, but it's on a fused switch. Hook everything up then switch the toggle to energize the circuit. Also has an 1157 bulb inside so you know when it's on. I swap the inline fuse out for small amperage ones when working with sensitive stuff. I created it because I got tired of searching for wires to run all the way to the battery. Having them fall off or disconnect during testing was also problematic in troubleshooting. I made mine with long leads. It's the in the attached picture. The toggle switch fell through the plastic lid and I need to re-mount it. It looks crappy, but it has helped me diagnose/troubleshoot many different electrical issues.

IMG_20200508_202839.jpg

alaskaforby4

Occupation
Owner Operator
I was given a Stihl electric chain saw for Christmas. I Haven't had a need to use it yet. But I will when it gets warmer out.
Seems like it would be nice not to have oil leaking out of it like the gassers. I hope !

yes, I have the dewalt one. Very handy! It’s battery length is amazing. Unfortunately you won’t get away from the bar oil though. And where mine has been sitting for the last few months it leaked some oil out :(

Flat Thunder Channel

I think an electric cordless saw could be handy! Especially if you don't use you chainsaw everyday. That reminds me I need to service mine someday. They have been dead in the case for over a year.

I used my new mini tire changer tonight. It's an harbor freight special. I wasn't excited about purchasing it, but sometimes you are in need. I fought with the little tires on my garden tractor and ultimately ruined a new tire. All I had was a set of spoons and that second tire and wheel wasn't giving up without a good fight. I waited until I had the specialty tool to install the 'replacements replacement'. It worked great! Now I'm ready to plow some snow. Looks like we might finally get a few flakes. ❄️

IMG_20210131_010510_307.jpg IMG_20210131_010510_337.jpg IMG_20210131_010510_341.jpg

Tinkerer

FTC; I don't see a YouTube video on your channel for the tire changer in action. :rolleyes:
In regards to electric saws-- I have been in many situations where starting or holding a running chainsaw is not a good position to be in.[/QUOTE]

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Lol.. I too have been fighting flats on my rider.. SO FLAT that they would break the bead.!! So off comes the wheel, out comes the stem and then finding something that’ll fit the bottom side of the rim yet give me enough leverage to get the tire back on the rim..
This got old QUICK.. so like u I bought new rubber.. There was no way I could get them off and back on.!!!
So INSTEAD, I bought inner tubes.
Lol.. laugh now but they worked..
The tires have been up for over a month now..& I can jump on’r any time I want w/o wasting an hour and breaking a sweat..