1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Tool Talk

Discussion in 'General Industry Questions' started by Flat Thunder Channel, May 7, 2020.

1. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Kinda Retired
    I am likely in that same Abuser of tools boat as all here!! I have Snap on ratchets they will not warranty as many other brands that end up in the scrap bucket as I destroy them!! As to Crescent Hammers or Rigid Hammers or even Vice Grip Hammers they have plenty of meat in the jaws areas and do not need additional Hammer Heads here!!

John C. and JPV like this.
  2. terex herder

terex herder Senior Member

IMG_20220416_201208038_HDR.jpg Here is my egg laying wool milk pig.

59 North, westerner, Tubroos and 5 others like this.
  3. 1466IH

1466IH Senior Member

That is a thumb detecting nut f$&*er

stinky64, JPV and John C. like this.
  4. chidog

chidog Well-Known Member

Snap on ? In the late 60's dad got a 1/2 drive snap on ratchet for about 14 bucks, back then and into the late 70's a person could just go to the warehouse and purchase tools. I hate buying anything from the trucks. Always have to hunt them down or call to figure out where they will be. Many years ago had a tool stolen by one of the drivers that was going to check on getting it fixed, this was at a shop I worked at and had a witness. Got a kid on a route in a particular area that is worthless.
    The prices and the trucks make snap on bad, sorry just a bad taste here. The trucks = more mark up.

5. MarshallPowerGen

MarshallPowerGen Senior Member

Generator & Equipment Mechanic
    If that ratcheting end is 3/4", that wrench would cover half the work I've done this year.

6. 1693TA

1693TA Senior Member

FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
    My son in law sells Grey Pneumatic tools at work and I've been purchasing them. Nothing in chrome but I don't have anything except positive things to say about their ratchets, extensions, sockets, etc. in all sizes and drives. I've not busted anything yet and seemingly know how to literally "explode" tools on command.

Going to purchase a 3/4" deep well set next as I have their shallow set(s) already in both std. and metric.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2022
    MarshallPowerGen likes this.
  7. westerner

westerner Well-Known Member

The Snap-On fella was a crook, and a snooty one at that.
    They sell some stuff that no one else makes, and you know you need it.
    I bit 3 or four times, but eventually that a**h*le cured me of the big red truck.

Unrelated, sorta
    My "Dayton, the Grainger brand" wirefeed welder suffered the cooling fan biting the dust. I went digging to find the machine is made by Century, and sold under the aforementioned Dayton brand, but also Marquette, Matco, and, yup, you guessed it- Snap-on.
    I would love to see the prices from each. :cool:

JPV likes this.
  8. JD955SC

JD955SC Senior Member

Last time I looked at Snap On welder’s prices they were far in excess of the three big brands worth owning- Miller/Hobart, Lincoln, and ESAB

I tell my apprentices “look, your money is your money but that truck wants to sell you a small single rail of sockets or a small set of wrenches for two to three times the price of a quality set from elsewhere (including US made industrial brands such as Proto and Wright) and if you had to pay $400-500 for seven wrenches outright you wouldn’t consider it but because you can pay $25 a week it sounds like a good deal to you, but it’s not. You can take that same amount and get a lot more for your money of the stuff you need”

9. Old Doug

Old Doug Senior Member

I have some Grey Pneumatic sockets and swivel sockets and they seem to be good but the last set i ordered i finally gave up on after 6 weeks.

10. JD955SC

JD955SC Senior Member

im a huge fan of Grey Pneumatic and Sunex. Great sockets, great (and complete) size ranges, good prices. Large variety in their catalogs. Matco and Cornwell both relabel either GP/Sunex sockets or something really close for their ADV and Bluepower brands.

11. westerner

I have Sunex impacts, 3/8 drive only so far.
    They have held up well, and have a good finish.
    My only complaint is that the deep sockets will eat your nut/bolt.
    It is hard to find a deep socket anymore that doesn't.

12. Jonas302

Jonas302 Senior Member

Gearwrench brand sockets have a ledge inside so they dont eat the nut

We have and have had many great Snap-on and some of my snap on stuff I wouldn't give up but I don't find much that I need from him anymore there are just to many other great options

nowing75 likes this.
  13. Flat Thunder Channel

Flat Thunder Channel Senior Member

I tell the guys at my shop that they are paying for the service. The extra expense is to compensate the delivery and salesman's commission. They always buy from him, but I usually source tools from other vendors. In my mind it's the same component at a better rate! Now I don't get the same replacement service, but that's because I do not purchase from the truck. Often the markup is so large I can afford to break a tool or two, replace it with a new one and still be ahead on expenses.

14. JD955SC

JD955SC Senior Member

Exactly. And with modern tools breakage is pretty rare for most tools.

another angle is that expensive tools are lost just as easily as cheaper ones. My apprentice dropped his brand new 10mm Snap On impact socket in a belly pan today. I asked him how much would it have been to replace it if it had been inaccessible…$34. The exact same socket with a Cat logo costs $4.50 to replace. It’s a hell of a lot easier to let a $4 socket go if you can’t find it vs a $34 socket.

Zewnten, 59 North, suladas and 4 others like this.
  15. DIYDAVE

DIYDAVE Senior Member

Yeah, its always a 10 mm...;)

16. crane operator

crane operator Senior Member

My equipment is so old its 9/16".....

Zewnten, 59 North, suladas and 3 others like this.
  17. westerner

And the mechanics are so old, the 9/16 have a patina no other wrench does.
    I can see it from across the shop.

59 North likes this.
  18. Bumpsteer

Bumpsteer Senior Member

Mechanical designer
    And, when one has to modify a tool in an pinch, it hurts less to cut/heat & bend a $5 wrench than a $34 one...lol.
    Years ago I bought a HF quality box/open end set just for the purpose of making "special tools"
    Cheap screwdrivers are shown no mercy either.

Ed

20220420_223253.jpg

colson04, 59 North, suladas and 8 others like this.
  19. Flat Thunder Channel

Flat Thunder Channel Senior Member

I hear that! I have no problem 'customizing' Cheap Chinese Sheet (CCS), but really take a second look at modifying one made in USA. I have a dog leg 1 1/8" combination end wrench I custom bent. Couldn't bring myself to bend a good one and ended up buying a new cheapo version for the job.

59 North and John C. like this.
  20. aighead

aighead Senior Member

I got a new tool last night! I've seen folks using cordless circular saws and I finally got an Milwaukee M18 cordless. I haven't tried it out yet but I have a feeling, in the long run, I'll do a lot more circular sawing due to just being able to grab it and go without worrying about power.