1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Tool loaner programs

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by partsandservice, Nov 6, 2019.

1. partsandservice

partsandservice Senior Member

Since this keeps coming up over and over here of late, I was thinking we should set up some kind of special tool share program with in the HEF. Currently I am need of magic wrench that I can wave over the machine so it can be repaired without buying any parts and very little labor. If anyone would be kind enough to let me borrow theirs I would gladly rent it and pay the freight to have it sent here and back. This would be so beneficial to my customers and would make it easier for them to "stay in business" when they refuse to maintain their equipment and continue to run it until it will no longer works at all. Thanks in advance.

mg2361 and RZucker like this.
  2. fast_st

fast_st Senior Member

IT systems admin
    I think that wrench looks like the platinum card and magically replaces the entire unit in question.

mg2361 and funwithfuel like this.
  3. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
    The best I can do is a fit all, screw chisel and a home made thumper.

I once had a customer ask if I would charge less if I used his tools instead of mine.

4. AzIron

AzIron Senior Member

That is the best one I have heard in a long time

RZucker and kshansen like this.
  5. 92U 3406

92U 3406 Senior Member

Field Service Tech
    I'd retort with:

"Well your tools aren't as experienced as mine so I'll have to charge extra for training"

kenh, sled dog, RZucker and 4 others like this.
  6. Bls repair

Bls repair Senior Member

Equipment operator,mechanic
    I would say yes ,but I still get paid while you are getting any tools that I need to do the job . Even if it takes a week or more . My tools are available for rent at $500 per tool per hour. When should I start :D?

kshansen likes this.
  7. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

This thread is why I don't do or allow outside repair or work in the shop. It use to be {can I help by washing parts} No because your not covered by the shop insurance and I like to wash the
    parts because that's when I inspect them, If I find it's junk I don't continue to waste time washing it.

sled dog, kshansen, John C. and 2 others like this.
  8. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
    People seem to forget that cleaning parts is part of the repair process. How many leaks do you get from the cram and slam procedure of get it running as fast as possible?

RZucker and Truck Shop like this.
  9. kshansen

kshansen Senior Member

Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
    That is one of the problems I had when a boss would try to "help" Norm and me on a rush job. Boss would give us a spare set of hands to save time on an engine rebuild. That always seemed to cause two problems. First the guy sent to help would have no idea of how to inspect the parts being cleaned and second the guy would get bored after a few hours standing there washing parts and want to do something "more interesting"! And don't ask him to start scrapping gaskets! Either bits of gaskets would be still there or gouges in the aluminum parts.

10. thepumpguysc

thepumpguysc Senior Member

Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
    Had the EXACT PROBLEM where I worked Hansen..
    2 K50.s in the shop w/ an inspector coming in a week.!! ALL HANDS on deck.. {except me of course}
    The teardown/rebuild crew w/ be SCREAM'N at the clean up crew.. & eventually just redo it themselves.
    After hours = boo koo overtime on the weekends.. which killed the bottom line..
    It only took the BIG BOSS about 10 engines & the rebuild crew screaming at him, before he just let the td/rebuild guys do it all.. 10 engines at 80k each w/ no profit.. fkn genius..!!

11. 92U 3406

92U 3406 Senior Member

Field Service Tech
    That's what I get fed up about. Pull a major component in a single shift and have it out on the floor and you're a hero. Then you spend half a day cleaning/organizing parts, ordering parts, packaging the component to be sent out for core etc and suddenly the office geeks are calling you a useless POS because they don't understand that's all part of the job.

RZucker and kshansen like this.
  12. kshansen

kshansen Senior Member

Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
    Next time just tell them its on the floor, now it's your problem and walk out the door then turn and say by the way I need the seal kit to install it when the rebuilt one gets here.

92U 3406 and RZucker like this.