• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Tool chests

Welder Dave

I'm finally organizing my shop/pole building and am looking for a tool chest to set on a bench. Looking for something decent but don't need a Snap-On or Mac. Seeing what you'd recommend that's a reasonable price and decent quality.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I bought a BIG Husky at Home Depot. Seems pretty good. We aren't in the shop every day, I couldn't justify an expensive one.

JD955SC

I bought a BIG Husky at Home Depot. Seems pretty good. We aren't in the shop every day, I couldn't justify an expensive one.

I bought a 36” Husky stack for $400 two years ago. It’s my “cart” that holds my most used tools. I forklift it to the bay I am in. It has held up very impressively. It is 24” deep, has a deep top that holds sockets and chargers easily, and holds a lot of tools.

I can’t bring myself to spend the big money on a box, especially when the cheaper imports do very well. Husky, Milwaukee, Harbor freight (the new Icon boxes are also extremely nice), Homak Pro, Extreme (check out strictlytoolboxes.com, they have their own line plus carry Montezuma and Extreme), etc. Back in the day the crappy Craftsman boxes that were the cheap option were pretty much junk but today’s “cheap” boxes are so much better.

Welder Dave

Don't have Harbor Freight but was looking at Husky boxes at Home Depot. Montezuma's are nice but a little pricier. I thought I might find something used but not much for sale. Here's a couple I'm looking at. Can't find too much info on the Frontier but did find it has 100lb. drawer slides and the Husky is only 50lb. Don't think I'll ever have over 50lbs. in a drawer though. Wider is nice but less drawers. Peavey Mart is similar to similar Harbor Freight. They also have Montezuma but they are much bigger. I need to check them both out but bigger might be better for the same price.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/husky-26-inch-8-drawer-tool-storage-chest-in-black/1000831247

https://www.peaveymart.com/Frontier-Tool-Chest-36-P4929.aspx

Bls repair

Occupation
Equipment operator,mechanic
Had a kid just starting work for the company I worked for.he was going to be helper in the shop. Came into the shop one day and saw a BIG snap on tool box . I asked who’s box is that , he said mine. I looked in it,it had one small drawer with some tools in it ,the rest had work clothes in them. Of course me being the smart A I am ,I asked wouldn’t it be better to have tools in there instead of clothes :D

JD955SC

Had a kid just starting work for the company I worked for.he was going to be helper in the shop. Came into the shop one day and saw a BIG snap on tool box . I asked who’s box is that , he said mine. I looked in it,it had one small drawer with some tools in it ,the rest had work clothes in them. Of course me being the smart A I am ,I asked wouldn’t it be better to have tools in there instead of clothes :D

we have a couple new apprentices. One wants to buy a huge snap on box. I told him he needs to buy tools first.

Old Doug

Road Box is what I started with and should have kept.
I have 2 1980s roadboxes one mac and one snapon. I have a all most new craftsman top box i may sell. I wanted to get 2 bottom boxes and make a base with good wheels to set them side buy side then put a top on them with a vise. I bought one craftsman bottom then i was going to get another and one day my buddy told me about a top that matched my bottom. If i could find or build a 3 drawer middle box i would go with what i have.

Welder Dave

I went to look at the Frontier tool chest. It was really nice but on the floor beside it was a Montezuma 41 inch tool chest with a price of $319.97 on a large tag. The sticker on it said $499.99. I asked if it was a display model and the manager confirmed it was. I asked him if they had the keys and he said they are MIA but I can call Montezuma with the number off the lock and they'll send new keys. He said he'd take another $20 off because the keys are missing. I figured it was good deal at $200 off so grabbed it while I had the chance. I doubt I'd ever lock it even if I had the key. It's an earlier model of this one and doesn't have handles on the side or blue drawer pulls. I think it will work great for my purposes.

https://www.peaveymart.com/Montezuma-41-x-18-8-Drawer-Chest-P35106.aspx

mitch504

Looks like a nice box. I didn't know Montezuma built anything but those trapezoidal ones. I have my doubts about them...

The big difference in Peavey mart and Harbor Freight seems to be that HF sells almost exclusively their own brands. Peavey looks more like Tractor Supply.

JD955SC

Looks like a nice box. I didn't know Montezuma built anything but those trapezoidal ones. I have my doubts about them...

The big difference in Peavey mart and Harbor Freight seems to be that HF sells almost exclusively their own brands. Peavey looks more like Tractor Supply.

The conventional Montezuma boxes are nice boxes. They build a professional line that is pretty identical to Snap On quality and features

Flat Thunder Channel

I have not tried it, but have had thoughts about montezuma style boxes mounted to a steel structure that could be lifted on and off your truck. I really like the style and concept behind those boxes. However they are pretty expensive when it comes to toolboxes. It seems like my most used, traveling toolbox, is my three drawer plastic craftsman with top storage. It sits on the work bench and I can load it in the truck when traveling.

When I used to travel to job sites in industrial locations I would take the same smaller toolbox. I would add other specialty items to the box and or loose carry large items. The toolbox was handy, but carrying it across a manufacturing facility without spilling it was cumbersome. I invested in an american made plastic husky brand tool box tote. It has two wheels on one end and a telescopic handle on the other. I place the empty box in the truck and load the smaller craftsman toolbox with any of the other additional loose tools. I had a locking cable I could secure the entire box to a fixed on object. During runoffs I would often sit on top of the tote. It is a pretty handy unit. I still use it in my garage and every once in awhile for traveling big jobs (hardly ever anymore). One other key feature is it has a weather proof seal around the lid. It prevented my tools from getting rained / snowed on inclement weather. I attached a picture of the tote. The metal laying across the top is the start of the snowplow bracket I made for an F150.

Attachments

• CAM00707.jpg
    CAM00707.jpg
    462.3 KB · Views: 49

farmerlund

Occupation
Farmer/ excavator
we have 5-6 of the Montezuma triangle shaped boxes, some big, some small ones mounted to equipment. best thing since sliced bread. They keep your tools clean and organized. we run in alot of dust and the rubber seals keep out 95% of it out.