• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Tonka's new toy.....

tonka

Occupation
Equipment Operator
:rolleyes:Some of you guys know i work at a Garbage transfer station in Newark. Today a Salvation Army truck pulls onto my tipping floor, he dumps his load of items the SA doesn't wan't. I have to make sure theres no metal in the load as i look at the load someting yellow catches my eye, i pull it out and low and behold i find a Tonka dump truck. I set it down and keep looking through the load. Thers no metal so i pick up the tonka truck and give it a once over, i'm in shock! This thing looks brand new, the hard rubber tires have no scuff marks on them, the paint looks never used, it looks brand new.......Its a 70's model tonka truck, i just cant belive it!:D

Here's a pick of what it looks like, mine looks better!:D

Attachments

• tonka11.jpg
    tonka11.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 1,076

JDOFMEMI

They don't make them like that anymore.

I must have hauled a million scale yards with one of those and the loader that went with it.

Good find

dirt digger

Occupation
pushing dirt, baling hay, and hitting the books
NICE FIND!...wonder if that thing is worth anything

td25c

That's a good looking Tonka truck.I am old enough to remember the tonka commercials that had an elephant standing on the ground with one leg on top of the tonka truck.

95zIV

Occupation
RR Contractor Super.
This just goes to prove, one persons trash is another persons treasure. :D NICE find, I'd love to make a find like that.

td25c

Old Tonka

Hear are a few pics of an old tonka truck that I coverted to a wrecker using parts from an erector set.Probably cant see in the picture but under the Tonka name it says it was made in Mound.Minn.The last pic is the tonka hauling in a "Stucto" flat bed.I think both trucks are mid 1960's vintage.

Attachments

• tonka 001.jpg
    tonka 001.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 1,776
  • tonka 005.jpg
    tonka 005.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 994
  • tonka 008.jpg
    tonka 008.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 1,160

jm62

Tonka, that brings back a flood of memories! Thanks for rescuing a part of alot people's childhood. I had one when I was a boy until my step brother got jealous and drove a John Deere A over it and crushed it. One of the first toys that my 5yr.old grandson got was a new Tonka truck but it is nothing compared to that one in quality. Just an outstanding save. Thanks again for sharing.:)

Last edited:

xterrahawk

Occupation
entreprenuer, Developer
:rolleyes:Some of you guys know i work at a Garbage transfer station in Newark. Today a Salvation Army truck pulls onto my tipping floor, he dumps his load of items the SA doesn't wan't. I have to make sure theres no metal in the load as i look at the load someting yellow catches my eye, i pull it out and low and behold i find a Tonka dump truck. I set it down and keep looking through the load. Thers no metal so i pick up the tonka truck and give it a once over, i'm in shock! This thing looks brand new, the hard rubber tires have no scuff marks on them, the paint looks never used, it looks brand new.......Its a 70's model tonka truck, i just cant belive it!:D

Here's a pick of what it looks like, mine looks better!:D

tonka i live about 1/2 mile away from that transfer station. this world is just too darn small for all of us lol :)

xterrahawk

Occupation
entreprenuer, Developer
i wanna say SWTR im not really sure ill have to see

xterrahawk

Occupation
entreprenuer, Developer
then its def SWTR and DART is also not that far i live around East Side High School so im kind of like in the middle..small world i guess