• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Todays tip: how NOT to move equipment

Crummy

Found these pictures this morning from awhile back and busted up laughing, so I figured I had to share.
No, it's not me!
One of the reasons I got out of moving equipment: "why did you quote me $5/mi and this other guy only want's $2/mi?"
Ummmm, because I'm using the proper specialized equipment and I kind of know what I'm doing?

963_1.jpg 963_2.jpg

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Almost there, might as well keep going till she breaks over! Those ramps are good for some things. The attachment points....yeah not so much.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
hahaha took the bumper right off.. TO FUNNY..
"Nuthin' a welder wont fix.. just give me a minute & we'll try'r again"..

crane operator

Kinda looks like the right rear corner of the trailer ended up with a pretty good bend in it too. Probably just bent the aluminum stringers over.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Yes the ramps themselves will carry quite a load. Point of attachment....not so much.

td25c

Have not evolved far enough yet to use ramps when loading tracked equipment .:)

Use 7" X "9 wood rail tie ends to block & crawl up on when loading .

Cave Man .... LOL !

Aluminum trailer & yellow iron generally don't mix well ....

July 2012 051[1].JPG 100_3667[1].JPG

Crummy

Not a darn thing wrong with loading track machines over the back onto something that's made for it. Those ramp kits for steps make them into Swiss Army knives for hauling different kinds of freight but they have their limitations.

The time I spent hauling equipment was great as I saw a lot of the country (Rural America is the best people, period) & a whole lot of really crazy things.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Found these pictures this morning from awhile back and busted up laughing, so I figured I had to share.
No, it's not me!
One of the reasons I got out of moving equipment: "why did you quote me $5/mi and this other guy only want's $2/mi?"
Ummmm, because I'm using the proper specialized equipment and I kind of know what I'm doing?

View attachment 178850 View attachment 178851

I saw these on another forum IIRC.

Crummy

I saw these on another forum IIRC.
Yep. There was an internet barroom brawl that ensued. Some members were disciplined for not being "nice" about the whole thing. :rolleyes:
I still say it wasn't the operators fault.
The internet is forever. Heh.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
In '97 I sold a 977B to a Califlower outfit. Told them to send a 3 axle RGN to pick it up. It had an oversize 4 in 1 bucket, a huge counterweight, a ROPS with sweeps, and a bunch of extra iron welded on as repairs. I estimated 60,000 lbs.
Guy showed up with an aluminum drop deck to pick it up and I wouldn't load it, called the buyer and told them again what to send. 3 days later the RGN showed up and took it, an hour later the guy calls me and says it weighs 62,500. The drop deck guy was mad as heck when I chased him off... Lucky for him.

Jakebreak

Occupation
operator/pipelayer/mechanic
Have not evolved far enough yet to use ramps when loading tracked equipment .:)

Use 7" X "9 wood rail tie ends to block & crawl up on when loading .

Cave Man .... LOL !

Aluminum trailer & yellow iron generally don't mix well ....

View attachment 178883 View attachment 178882
What size is the trailer with the dozer on it I need to find one similar to that to be able to haul our d5h around

td25c

It's really worked great for us being it's fairly low slung for a single drop and short length is handy on narrow country roads . Turn in & pull out of some pretty tight spots .:)

Trailer like that would be perfect for moving the Cat D5H .

Like the Old Man would say ....... " It aint so much what your hauling " .... " It's mostly where it's going " . Truck & trailer need to be fitted proper for the roads they will haul on . We aint got the best roads :D

One of these day's I'm going to take off & dive out your way Jakebreak .

Would really enjoy cruising though Bakersfield California . :)

Crummy

@Jakebreak you could get up to Isabella with that trailer, it has to be less than 30' KPRA. They started on the dam yet? I haven't been there in about 6 months.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
The way I understand it, they had to take away the "must" in those special KPRA. So now it is just a suggestion. I guess they write you a ticket if you come over the yellow line.

Crummy

I remember noticing that the sign said "Recommended" the last time I was through Walker Pass & thought that was different. I can't keep the pickup off the yellow line and make any time on the Kern River side that's a twisty snake of a road.

td25c

I'm hooking the 1974 Pete to the Lacrosse for that trip .:)

Short truck and trailer .

100_1521.JPG