• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Todays pick up

doublewide

Installed it between the two filters.

Attachments

• CAM01288[1].jpg
    CAM01288[1].jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 85

doublewide

doublewide

Always had to jump it with my backhoe as the battery just wasn't up to all the glow plug and cranking, but still always started and ran nice.

After reading up on the 282 glow plugs here;

http://www.redpowermagazine.com/forums/topic/98210-ih-282-diesel-no-start-diagnosis/

and noting that Steiner tractors makes it clear that if you give these things more that 11 volts you will burn them out;

http://www.steinertractor.com/IHS1604-glow-plug

I started to think that my habit of jumping this thing with my backhoe might not be such a good idea:Banghead. So,.. I pulled all the glow plugs, cleaned them all up (they did look to be in good shape), bench tested them(they all still worked!) and reinstalled.

Attachments

• CAM01291[1].jpg
    CAM01291[1].jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 57

doublewide

So yesterday was the day. It was in the mid 50's, best chance I was going to have on getting this beast going. Battery fully charged, remote starter in hand and a 3/4" open end wrench to crack the injectors. Got it cranking and cracked the first injector. Wouldn't you know this thing was blowing smoke and trying to start! Normally they say 60 seconds on the glow plugs to even get these things to think about starting. So I crawled out from underneath, jumped up on top and hit the glow plug switch for 20 seconds. Hit the starter button and it started popin' off! Stumbled and died. 10 more seconds on the glow plugs and off she went again! This time for good! I jumped down and grabbed my 'phone to get a picture of the cloud of smoke and.. uh oh, I forgot to attach the fuel return line to the tank! Oh well, I took a good shower in diesel before I could get that line snaked through the housing and into the tank, but, I sure wasn't going to shut it down.

Very happy now. :thumbsup

doublewide

I don't know about rollers....

That makes two of us Brodiesel, but I sure have a good time runnin' this thing! And the neighbors get a kick out of it too. They hear the rumbling and start wondering why their dishes are rattling on the shelves so they come outside to find out what's going on!

doublewide

Roller's been running well. I don't use it much but when I do, it fires right up and works well. The boost pump and the heavy battery cables make a big difference. 45 seconds on the glow plugs and off she goes!CAM01384[1].jpg

doublewide

The last time I was running it I, unfortunately, noticed that I have a coolant leak. Looks like I may have a blown head gasket. Picture's kinda hard to figure out, but,... that's the right side of the D-282, leaking down the side of the block between those two freeze plugs.282.jpg

doublewide

This roller is really such a cool machine to operate. How many 6 cylinder diesel machines do you get to just stand on? No ROPS. No seat belt. Just stand on top. You can sit down when you're rolling backwards which is kinda interesting cause you gotta steer in reverse of when you're standing.
IMG_0563.jpg IMG_0567.jpg

doublewide

It's actually a hydro drive with a pump on the front of the International 282 diesel feeding a hydraulic motor, gear reduction unit and chain drive to the rear drum.a1.jpg a2.jpg

doublewide

There is also a twin disc clutch mounted on the flywheel end of the engine. It is controlled by one of two foot levers and a series of linkage. This is what drives the eccentric on the rear drum for the vibratory function.a5.jpg a6.jpg