• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Todays experiment in field expedient engineering...

DIYDAVE

Was mowin along, on the new mower, went down a hill, started smellin gas. Got to lookin around, left gas cap is gone. I think I forgot to shut it tight, cause some fellow from south of the border was yakkin at me about the mower (Altoz TRX). anyway, its gotta real odd cap, about 3-1/4 threaded plastic, wif a ratchet mechanism, and vented. I know that the dealer will prolly have to order it(I'll order 2, LOL), but tomorrow being a holiday, and Murphy's law being in full effect, hadda come up wif something, fast! Went into the office, fer lunch, sat down in the AC, and took a little nap, wif the radio on real low... Then it came to me, what to use fer a temporary gas cap...
wink.png

DIYDAVE

Alack, alas, my cup was susceptible to gas... Checked it this AM, and it was showing signs of dis-solution... So I found a Cat fuel filter, cut the pipe end off, added a bolt and some flat washers, and now I gots a metal temporary cap, vented, but covered enough to keep out most dirt and maybe water...;)

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
Alack, alas, my cup was susceptible to gas... Checked it this AM, and it was showing signs of dis-solution... So I found a Cat fuel filter, cut the pipe end off, added a bolt and some flat washers, and now I gots a metal temporary cap, vented, but covered enough to keep out most dirt and maybe water...;)
LOL!!! Last time I used one of those cups to 'prime' an engine I had set it on the battery temporary while I was checking other things....picked it up a few minutes later and the bottom of the cup stayed on the batt!!! with gas all over the place:eek: note to self: don't use polystyrene cups for gas!!!! ever!!!!:rolleyes:

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
LOL!!! Last time I used one of those cups to 'prime' an engine I had set it on the battery temporary while I was checking other things....picked it up a few minutes later and the bottom of the cup stayed on the batt!!! with gas all over the place:eek: note to self: don't use polystyrene cups for gas!!!! ever!!!!:rolleyes:
They do seem to hold up to adult beverages... :cool:

JD955SC

I have seen many a machine come in with soda bottles and rags as caps for transmission, hydraulic, fuel, and engine oil fill tubes

And I don’t mean used as temporary just to get by till a replacement factory cap in either...

ianjoub

One of my gas caps vents better than the other apparently. I have to replace one cup periodically when it gets too distorted. That is only every few months though.

Welder Dave

Worked at a golf course and the foreman was Greek so brought some ouzo to try. Poured a little in a stryrofoam cup. Picked up the cup and the ouzo was eating through it! I just replaced the cap on my skid steer. Bought one at Napa that was supposed to be vented but didn't vent. Machine fired but wouldn't keep running. Took cap off and could hear the vacuum release. Took cap back and got a Stant cap elsewhere that vents properly.

DIYDAVE

Well I got the caps ordered, today, anybody wanna gue$$ how much?;)

DIYDAVE

Well that contest didn't last too long... Didja look it up somewhere? In any event, ya nailed it!:D

DIYDAVE

I was hopin to find it on the innernut somewheres, but no luck. Was over at a friend's shop, the other day, after I had ordered them, same one as is on his toro/exmark, D'OH!o_O

Last k'boter cap I hadda buy, for the B-2100, was either $33, or $38, I can't remember. I told them. for that price, they shouldda filled the tank, too!;)

DIYDAVE

Update, sorta, got the gas caps, gonna take 1 ofer to friends shop, and see if they are the same.(just fer grins) On another field engineerin theme, Friday I was mowin with the new kboter, and bush hog finishin mower, and one of them damn little chinese 4" tires that inhabit each corner, blew the rim in half. OK, sez I, I gots 3 hard tires, I bought from HF, since I put one on the back, about 2 years ago, this should be a 20 minute fix, no prob. did it, in about that time, mowed fer another hour or so, to finish the field. Then was mowin on Sat, and the new hard tire i had just put on, in the front, just disintegrated, fell of the rim, and went thru the mower! Put another on, continued to finish that field, and then went mowin, again this AM. Looked at the tire, after 1 round, cracks starting in sidewall, tire wobblinf, and not regesterin on the rim, goddam cheap chinese junk! OK hadda go out anyway, so I picked up 1 more of this wheel/tire, cause I wanna keep the mower level. Also picked up a coupla cans of great stuff. Came home, drilled 3 holes, in each tire, and ran them fulla foam. If they last, I'll let ya know... If not, then I'l spend some money on spme good wheel/tire combos... Now how do I get this stuff offa my hands...?:mad:

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
I usually let it dry then scrape it off.... getting it outta blue jeans is impossible :( I think berrymans eats it... but I can't remember if it was acetone or berrymans I tried last time???

Gotta love chinese crap!!!

muzy

I have used a light oil like 3in1 , took it off my skin but I did not try on clothing. Good luck.

DIYDAVE

I got most of it off, with goof off, a solvent stain remover, that comes in a can that looks like lighter fluid. Smells like it, too...;)