1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

To expand or not

Discussion in 'In the Office' started by suladas, Aug 25, 2019.

1. td25c

td25c Senior Member

Good point Aziron !

Ran in to one of those last week ….

Feller was asking what we charge per hour on the phone call ?

Then he proceeded to tell me the job would take 3 day's .

I'm like hey baby bubba ……. We come scope the job out and shoot you cost up front . :)

I don't take every job that comes down the pike . LMAO ! :D

Like # 45 would say …. " Sometimes you have to walk away ."

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  2. suladas

suladas Senior Member

That is the attitude of virtually everyone here. I have a few customers who are *ahem* the type many complain about, they are exactly like that, it's all about who is cheapest. They got someone else to do the last dig because they undercut me, although for demos I seem to be the cheapest. But at the end of the day, I quote what I want for the job, if someone wants to work for free go ahead. They aren't all bad, I finished a demo on wednesday and got paid thursday, getting paid quick hassle free goes a long ways for me. I learned my lesson last year. I did a few jobs where someone was cheaper so I matched or beat by a bit and lost my shirt. I did a few where I couldn't have even afforded to pay a guy to run the machine and cover fuel, largely because it was winter and backfills take so long it's really tough to make money on them to begin with, never mind doing it for cheap. Will never do it again. I trust my estimating and anytime I come down I regret it.

3. suladas

suladas Senior Member

Might end up working out with the builder anyway, they use 2 of all trades so it would be around 20-25 a year which I could handle, even if I don't expand. Will see if the rate is there. But it is tempting not have to do quotes, deal with people who think they are builders, chase money, etc.

4. old-iron-habit

old-iron-habit Senior Member

Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
    You can always call the Operating Engineer Union hall for a trained operator when you need one. Let him go on the out of work list when you don't have work, and call him back by name if he is the guy you want. Fair wages and benefits and a trained employee for what ever machine you need one for. Another plus is that you can sleep well knowing your employee has health coverage and something more than SSI when he retires.

5. suladas

suladas Senior Member

I've never heard of that here for operators, only stuff like welders, pipefitters, etc. I don't think i'd be interested in that anyway, just because they have experience and tickets IMO doesn't mean they are a good operator, or take care of equipment. I've seen enough "operators" running equipment for big companies that I wouldn't trust on a $20 shovel never mind an expensive piece of equipment. I am going to hire 1 guy in the spring and see how it goes. I know I will have enough to keep 1 guy busy full-time even with the equipment I have now.

6. old-iron-habit

old-iron-habit Senior Member

Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
    Hard to believe that anyone in the business could exist without knowing there is a operators union. You can believe me that the unqualified that don't take care of equipment wash out quickly.

7. suladas

suladas Senior Member

I looked it up and turns out there is one here, not much action though. Honestly just looks like a job posting board with only a few bigger companies posting stuff and it seems to be permanent or at least a few week jobs, nothing for the day sort of thing. I know i'm not the only one, when I was trying last year I asked around a lot and no one ever mentioned it to me that it existed here for that sort of thing.