• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

To bigger and better things

fauntleroy

Hey folks, figure I ought to make a proper introduction since I'm sure I'll be spending a bit of time on here. Places like this are great for people like me who enjoy learning and feel like the best way to cut to it is through people that have real experience.

Haven't been big into equipment or mechanics previous but have a bit of background in how things work on the small scale. Long story short, I spent some time in science and have slowly been returning to my rural & agricultural roots. The last 5 years have landed me out of Seattle (hence the name), back in my hometown, and engaged to a pretty young vegetable farmer. I have taken up hog farming, liquor making (legal?), and now find myself rehabbing a 19th century farm. Plan involves renovating old house into barn, clearing trees to make room for greenhouses & orchards, building roads and a new house. And that's why I am here.

I believe we only live once and that our successes aren't born by luck or someone else's hard work. I've always been the kind of person to jump in and do the dirty work. Maybe even have some fun in the process.

So with all the projects around the property I figured an excavator would be the most versatile tool to make way on the project. Did some research and ended up buying a Kobelco 115 with a blade, thumb and pretty low hours. And that's where I'm at now. So far I've familiarized myself with the machine and done some, and I wonder why it took me so long to come full circle on my life. Being outside in nature has always been my peace, and it feels good to find so much productivity in the process.

Now if only I could have afforded a NEW machine, I wouldn't have to bother y'all with all these questions...

petepilot

Hey folks, figure I ought to make a proper introduction since I'm sure I'll be spending a bit of time on here. Places like this are great for people like me who enjoy learning and feel like the best way to cut to it is through people that have real experience.

Haven't been big into equipment or mechanics previous but have a bit of background in how things work on the small scale. Long story short, I spent some time in science and have slowly been returning to my rural & agricultural roots. The last 5 years have landed me out of Seattle (hence the name), back in my hometown, and engaged to a pretty young vegetable farmer. I have taken up hog farming, liquor making (legal?), and now find myself rehabbing a 19th century farm. Plan involves renovating old house into barn, clearing trees to make room for greenhouses & orchards, building roads and a new house. And that's why I am here.

I believe we only live once and that our successes aren't born by luck or someone else's hard work. I've always been the kind of person to jump in and do the dirty work. Maybe even have some fun in the process.

So with all the projects around the property I figured an excavator would be the most versatile tool to make way on the project. Did some research and ended up buying a Kobelco 115 with a blade, thumb and pretty low hours. And that's where I'm at now. So far I've familiarized myself with the machine and done some, and I wonder why it took me so long to come full circle on my life. Being outside in nature has always been my peace, and it feels good to find so much productivity in the process.

Now if only I could have afforded a NEW machine, I wouldn't have to bother y'all with all these questions...
welcome to the forum . as I was once told there are no dumb questions just some of the answers may not be what you wanted to hear. so ask away someone will have a reply

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Sorry for the late welcome. Looks like you have a full plate in front of you. Everyone here tries to be helpful and constructive.
Nothing wrong with an older machine, as long as its pre emissions and not poorly maintained. Good luck and welcome.