• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

TMZ 50/35

Engineering

1st post here...

Backstory, purchased a TMS 50/35 sight unseen for a project. Lift is in a doesn't work condition. I've been up n down the machine and here's where I'm at.

1. New Batteries that are correct for this model (Purchase from local Genie dealer)
2. Pump motor works - tested by quick hot wire to current limited battery charger
3. E stops work
4. Horn works
5. ***Both basket and base control touch pads work (have to press speed with operation to engage)
6. No codes on display
8. Boom/Jib works
9. Level legs work manual mode

Things that don't work:
A. Self level
B. Cannot confirm if motor control is bad/good
C. Rotate motor - it moves a tiny bit then stops, but I have not gotten this far and am willing to bet there's junk inside of it or the brake is not releasing. I'll address this after I can get touchpad and motor functionality.

*** Further explaining #5 above. When everything is connected properly, I cannot get the motor control to fire the motor via the bucket or boom touch pads. I can bypass the motor controller and operate the equipment just fine, but doing this does not turn off pump motor. At this point I'm not thinking there's a control circuit board issue but a motor control issue. I'm in process of sending motor control out to have tested or rebuilt as necessary. I tried to bench test it but cannot get it to "fire" on the bench so sending it out is also a 2nd opinion.

I have been able to run all functions, excluding auto level and rotate, of the lift and they work well. I accidently popped a hydraulic line (it was old and abraded one of two that need replacing).

Once motor control is confirmed working condition, I will reinstall and run machine through paces excluding auto level and rotate. If working I will get after the rotate and then the auto level.

Additional information:
Make: Genie
Model: TMZ50
Serial Number: T5000-61
Model Year: 2000
Electrical Schematic: ES0215

I'm having a hard time finding the exact documents for this machine as it appears someone before was attempting to troubleshoot it.

Any other thoughts or insights would be appriciated

Last edited:

Engineering

Anyone...

Motor control has been sent out and am waiting on update from builder. Will know more about motor control in next week or so.

Engineering

***Update***
Reman motor control installed and still nothing.

Problem seems to be is no enable signal from the circuit board control to the Motor Controller. No error codes on display. Now I'm going to go down that rabbit hole...

Before I throw the parts cannon at this thing, any insight to circuit board diagnostics.

I can bypass the motor control and "hot wire" the pump motor and all of the touchpad functions work except the speed control because it's bypassed. I can move all booms, outriggers and jib except rotate platform because the brake is still engaged. I can see the rotate motor attempt to work against the brake. Platform is not stuck, I removed motor/brake and was able to rotate by hand.

Engineering

***update***
Progress made. Almost ran under its own power.
Found the motor control pump speed (P1 Engine connector, Pin 2) stays at approx 2.3Vdc and never drops to 0.0Vdc.

I can hold speed button and control button then manually reconnect this spade to position 3 on the motor control manually and unit will run as commanded.

Now I need to determine why Pin 3 stays at 2Vdc.

I feel like I'm taking to myself here...

Engineering

Lift is "functional." Installed a relay between control and pin 3 on motor control. Utilizes motor control 24Vdc on pin 1 to activate pump motor. Only thing is it runs on slow speed.
All other lift functions work when controls are pressed with exception of the auto leveling.

Still need to determine why P1 Engine connector stays constant at 2.3Vdc. My understanding is this is the speed control 0-5Vdc signal from the control board to the motor controller.

k_maat

Same problem over here. Stays at 4.2V. When repeatedly/quick pushing the functionbutton, all functions work. Except the jib-boom. The boards are really crappy…

Engineering

Finally took lift to a guy that's working on it. Hopefully will get working correctly. Definitely come in handy this summer.

aballworth

Same problem over here. Stays at 4.2V. When repeatedly/quick pushing the functionbutton, all functions work. Except the jib-boom. The boards are really crappy
Finally took lift to a guy that's working on it. Hopefully will get working correctly. Definitely come in handy this summer.
Did you get it fixed? I'm looking for one to buy. Aballworth@gmail.com located in eastern iowa.

Roadoil

I know this is old but u need to check any and all safety lockout circuits.

If there are proximity hall type switches that lock out hydraulic functions.