• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Tms875c

John Griffin

Im still thinking about getting a 70 to 75 ton crane at some point for our tree service. We have rented an htc8670 link belt a ton. Its a nice crane but the boom is just a bit short for us at 115 ft. Sometimes we deal with large oaks or poplars that are over 100 ft tall. By the time we boom down some the boom is a bit short. At times we will use the job but often we dont have room to be able to swing it.

I've been looking at a 2000 tms875c with a 138 ft main boom. That should be plenty of boom for us. We have two tms300s with 104 ft booms that we own. I would sell one to upgrade. Our local grove dealer is really good so support is taken care of. This one has a 400 HP cummins and 8ll. Any major issues with these cranes? We try to be gentle on our cranes but tree work is just rough by nature. We regularly need to work at a 70 ft radius due to where we can setup. I want an 8.5 ft wide carrier due to having to get into driveways. I should ad that we have ended up doing more and more crane work for other good tree services in our area. Thoughts?

crane operator

The 875c is the same crane as the earlier tms870. Grove just gave it a new chart with a couple feet closer radius, and bam, they were a 75 ton instead of a 70 ton. Instant bigger crane.

Anyways, I ran a TTS870 for a couple years. That is the all wheel steer version of the tms870, it had super singles on the rear, and you could unlock the rears on the jobsite for rear steer.

You don't really want the rear steer one(TTS). Its not as handy as you would think, and its a much weaker rear axle set up than tandems. They had a lot of problems with the steering arms not being strong enough, and it would really squat with all the ctw. on the crane.

Here's a few things I remember from the one I ran:

#1 The 138' main had weak upper plates on several sections. Most of those booms have already blown out, Grove had a exchange program at one time, and a repair procedure to fix and beef up the top plates. The one I ran had been repaired the year before, it blew out on a different operator. Basically the doubler plates 4' down from the top of each section, where the other boom contacts them, were not heavy enough. It would pop the top plates off of the side plates while still within chart. Grove may know if the boom updates have been done if you contact them with the serial #. If it is unknown if the boom updates have been done, I'd look over the doubler plates pretty close before buying one. I'm sure grove doesn't do the exchange program any more, but they probably still have the repair procedure. The one I ran- I think section #2 was repaired, and the base section was exchanged.

#2 Jib is kind of a pain. There is a welded bar across the top of the top head sheaves, that the jib pins to. So to string cable out on the jib, you have to thread it all out under that bar, and then on top. Instead of just pulling a pin and tossing it off the side. Not a big deal if you have a operator in the cab and someone to pull cable, but I was by myself most of the time, so you would lay out 60' of cable, and have to drag it all through. Its a bigger pain than it sounds. The 110' booms have a top pin instead.

#3 Just so your aware, its a 8' carrier, but has 24' two stage outrigger beams. Not a 20' like your tms300. So it won't fit in most driveways. Either both sides are right on the edge, or ones out in the grass and the other is on the driveway. Also, ours always seemed weak on the jacks, it was difficult to jack a rear jack, and crib a front, and go back and forth, like you would in a crooked spot. The jack issue may have been particular to ours, i.e. a relief set to low.

#4 ours was 92,000 with no counterweight (I can't remember if that's with or without jib), so we were using a boom dolly and had 12,000 of counterweight in the dolly, I think the permits were for around 110,000-115,000, with 12k of the counterweight on the dolly. I would check your axle weights and permits for your state, so you know what it will take to drive it around legally. The chart changes very little between 12,000 and the full 18,000 counterweight, we rarely hung the last of the weight.

#5 The 138' boom has not one, not two, but three a2b reels on the side of the boom. They pull individual boom section length for the lmi with all the reels. It gives you plenty of wires to hang up if your going through the trees to get at something. You can't replace them with a wireless a2b, the lmi needs the section lengths.

#6 The carrier/ crane electrical system is a hybrid of 12v and 24v systems. There was a box behind the seat that had a equalizer system to keep the batteries charged correctly. Some of the stuff in the crane and carrier is 12v, some is 24v, and its always a pain to figure out what solenoid you have, and what its supposed to have. If I remember, the lighting was 12v, the engine was 12v with 24v start. The upper electrical for the crane was 24v.

#7 The one I ran had a odd hydraulic thumping that would randomly occur. Grove was out several times, they never found the issue, and never fixed it. I think it was a compensator valve, but we could never identify it.

#8 If you have all the boom out, and are running the factory A/C, the hydraulic oil will overheat in hot weather. You can help the issue by pulling in the boom every couple hours, and exchanging the hot oil in the tank, for the cool oil in the boom, but its looks odd to pull boom in at 11:00 in the morning because your oil is too warm. The factory A/C is hydraulic orbit motor, and there isn't a whole lot of oil in the tank with all the boom out.

#9 In hot weather it will knock out the function coils. They are under the boom in a bank. I always had a few with me, and a diagram showing which spool did which function. That way you could match coil replacement to the function you lost and be back running.

#10 Its kind of boom heavy, for what it has for counterweight- compared to a terex or a link belt of similar size. That's not really a good or bad thing, just a trade off. Its stouter built, and will last longer, but it hurts you for chart at radius having that heavy boom.

The good things: pilot controls are nice, the winches are the good old grove, 3/4" cable winches with two speed. The m11 is a good engine. Rockwell rears and standard truck rubber. 138' main is handy in a lot of spots. I know I listed a lot of issues, but I ran it for a while and I knew the guy that ran it before me, and he ran down the issues they had with it. Counterweight is easy to install/ uninstall. Overbuilt compared to the terex/linkbelt.

What I found with it, is that it couldn't do much on main, that I couldn't do with a tms300 with main and jib. So any job that was doable on main, the tms300 would go do with jib, unless you didn't have room to install jib. So most of the jobs I went and did with it, were with jib on. And that jib is a handful by yourself/ customer help.

If you want to run around with some of the counterweight on, and no dolly, your talking 105,000 on 4 axles vs the 75,000 that your tms 300 is.

If you really like the link belt you work with, link belt also make a 8670/75 with a 127' main. The boom sticks out the front a little more for making corners, vs the 115' boom versions.

So in summary- I liked the one I ran, its not all good, and its not all bad either. That model just has some trade offs that you have to decide if they are worth it.

The bar in green is the one that gets in the way putting jib on. Your day gets pretty bad if you flip any of the 3 length reel wires off on a tree branch.

1999+Grove+TMS870+1_LI.jpg

John Griffin

Sorry for the delayed response.

Thank you so much for the info. I definitely dont want any wires hanging off the boom. With the tight areas we work, you simply can't avoid brushing the boom.

I know at times the width will be a problem. Most of the time we end up setup with one side in the yard on our tms300. A lot of the driveways in our area are single width. I have had to crib up that rental htc8670 on unlevel spots. Its definitely a bit more challenging with two stage outriggers. Im not at all planning to get rid of both tms300s. Quite often its to narrow where we are setup to be able to swing the jib. Sometimes its tight for putting out the dead stick. We have had to swing the boom around backwards and maneuver the chassis in place before.

The link belt htc8670 is looking more and more like it might be the one. Especially if i can find a long boom version. The 115 ft will work, just have to swing the jib for the occasional tall poplar, oak, or hickory. I have had to swing the jib on that rental crane. Its not bad if you have room to do it.

We really need more capacity at distance than the tms300 has. We were working on taking a pecan tree off a church downtown the other day where we were having to pick at 70 and 80 ft. Tms300 chart is getting a bit small when dealing with a 26" pecan tree. Iirc we were down to 3300 lbs before deducts at 80 ft. At lease we were able to work off the back. Thats not always the case.

Any other models I should look at other than the htc8670/75? I would prefer to stay either Cummins or detroit 60 series powered as they are supported in our area. I do not want a 2 stroke Detroit. Everyone I have been around has been a leaky sob. I can't have that on customers yards and driveways. I'm not opposed to older cranes as long as they still have good parts availability.

Last edited:

crane operator

I definitely dont want any wires hanging off the boom. With the tight areas we work, you simply can't avoid brushing the boom.

Almost anything you get is going to have wires hanging off the boom. At least one wire. There's a few boom trucks that run a interior wire for the a2b, or cranes or boom trucks that have been retrofitted with wireless a2b. I'm pretty sure all the 8670's have one external.

How's your local grove dealer with GMK's?

A gmk 3055/3060 or 4070-4080- 4085- 4095 would be pretty nice. A three axle or small 4 axle machine. They have a good amount of stick and a lot of counterweight. All of the all terrain cranes are complicated machines and not cheap to work on. But they will do things you can't do with a truck crane. Most of those machines will have 25-35,000lbs of counterweight and 125'-140' of main boom.

I've also been watching some of the video's with the saw mounted knucklebooms. There's also a outfit putting saw booms on gmk carriers. I don't think the gmk mounted ones would work real well on the other side of a house, but I've seen some video's of the big knucklebooms working on the far side. I think one of those would be a gamechanger. Get out of the tree and stay on the ground with a remote.

https://www.cranetrader.com/listing/for-sale/206789555/2021-grove-gmk3060-all-terrain-cranes

https://www.cranetrader.com/listing...stern-star-4800ts-mounted-knuckle-boom-cranes

https://www.cranetrader.com/listing...019-peterbilt-520-mounted-knuckle-boom-cranes

John Griffin

Our tms300 has a wireless a2b.

No idea how our grove dealer is with gmk's. I had already been eyeing them but really dont know much about them. Other then see them sitting at our local grove dealer, I havent seen them in person. Specs look great on paper.

I've seen some of the knucklebooms with a grapplesaw. They are very expensive and are pretty limited from what ive seen. The early ones didnt do well with horizontal limbs. The boom rebuilds aparently are about $50k+ due to sawdust getting in the slide pads. They are also no where big enough for the wood we have here. We picked apart an oak tree last week that was 60" at chest height.

I really want a stick crane in the 70 ish ton size range. We have another job to pick apart two oaks at 80 ft. The tms300 just doesn't have enough capacity at that distance. We can rent a 70 ton sometimes but our local crane rental guys stay very busy. When we have trees laying on buildings, we cant wait 3 weeks.