• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

TL140 won't restart

Matt Hyatt

I've got an older tl140 and I've been running it on Saturdays with a grapple and clearing some land in northern california. Today, I had the loader up while facing downhill (was brushing), took a phone call and turned off the machine.

Go to turn it back on, and it won't start - not a click. Here are some main points:

-pretty dusty out - clean air filter though.
-temp guage doesn't work and noticed the rad was way too hot to touch - for even 2 hours after - is that norm?
-I cleaned the terminals and still nothing
-I tried jumping it before i had my volt meter, and when I connected the jumper cables, it something was clicking on and off as i moved the cable clam
-battery is 12.8, was taking 14.2 when running jump cable - batter seems fine and wouldn't likely disharge or not charge suddenly - so I'm thinking a loose ground or something with the starter solenoid?
- i got nothing at the guages - that has to mean something, right?

Any ideas where to start? The lap bar proximity sensor shouldn't be it because it normally will start -or light up the gauges, with the bar up, or down.

What is that clicking that happens when i connected the jumper cables? might have been the fuel pump, but why are my guages not lit up - first time ive seen that.

Txhayseed

If you got nothing at the gauges it doesn't sound like a starter issue. Do you have power to your fusess ? If you key on and check you should have power to fuses that will then feed your systems. Could be a system ground looses or main power issue. Id start at the battery and follow it back my metter.

Matt Hyatt

Okay okay. I know you guys were loosing sleep over this. Apparently my ground wire coming off the negative terminal wasn’t made properly and it was shorting out. We made a new cable and problem solved.