• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

TL140 Stopped Moving and is making a growling noise

alandudley

Occupation
Engineer
The other day I was backing up slowly and the unit just stopped and now no hydraulic functions. Also it is making a funny noise. Sounds like maybe a pump but not sure if there is a coupling or something else that could be the issue. Unit has been and was working fine up to the point it just stopped. No funny noises or anything like that and no warning but it just stopped moving. Hydraulic oil and filters are relatively fresh maybe 50 hours or so. Machine has about 4400 hours on it. I have read the other posts about electrical issues and was hoping it was something of that nature but I think maybe my problem is not electrical. Has anyone else experienced this or heard about something like this happening?

alandudley

Occupation
Engineer
Come to think about it when I changed the pilot filter the top pump bolt to housing bolt was loose. I tightened it up but did not check the lower bolt. Maybe I get lucky and that is my problem also as the noise really doesn't sound like the pump is grinding on the inside like it came apart, or maybe that is my wishful thinking...lol, so I am hoping the coupling failed but was also hoping to hear if that is very common problem. I haven't raised the lid yet but just trying to get a jump on the issue. Thank you sir for your helpful response!

skata

I think this is what the coupling would look like. Never heard of one fail on a tl140 though.
Try kicking the panel below the door, in front of your feet, just to make sure it's not a relay issue.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230726_123515_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    Screenshot_20230726_123515_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    332.8 KB · Views: 9

alandudley

Occupation
Engineer
Thank you for the pic Skata. I was wondering what that coupling looks like.
I finally had a chance to check it out last night and the top pump housing bolt is backed out about 1/4" or so and I can see a gap between the pump and the bell housing so the lower bolt is probably also loose. I did not realize the pump bolts were a maintenance item...lol. I fired it up and it sounds like the noise is coming from the bellhousing so I think the coupling is the most likely culprit. Thank you for the tip Heymccall.

alandudley

Occupation
Engineer
Well I pulled the pumps and the coupling was not the problem but the splines were worn off the input shaft. I have a new coupling but now I need a new input shaft also. It looks like it may come out the front of the pump but not sure if you can pull it out and replace it without tearing the pump down. Does anyone know the best way to change the input shaft? I am not afraid of tearing down the pump but would rather not if it is not necessary.

alandudley

Occupation
Engineer
Thank you sir. Got it on the way. The $20 front seal cost almost as much as the shaft because I had to buy the whole dang set just for one seal...lol.

heymccall

On my TL150 machines, the pump to flywheel cover bolts were Allen headed M12, yet the pump mounting holes were engineered for 1/2 fasteners.
So, I drilled and tapped the flywheel cover for 1/2" and purchased 12pt headed 1/2" bolts. The Allen heads required modified tools to tighten, whereas the 12pt headed bolts allowed normal wrenches to be used.
And, collapsed engine mounts are the suspected cause of the pump falling off/ breaking fasteners.

Last edited:

alandudley

Occupation
Engineer
That thing is terrible to try and put back together. I had to bend some allen wrenches and do a whole lot of cussing to get it back in but I did finally have success. I did consider studs and 12pt nuts but could not find them in metric so I went back with socket head. I did not consider to use 1/2" -20 but that is a really good idea. I wished I would have seen this before I put it back together.

alandudley

Occupation
Engineer
Ohh and FYI I put a new front bearing in the trans. Takeuchi wanted $650 but I found one at LJ Fluid Power in Michigan for 100 bucks and he had it on the shelf. I wish I would have found him before I paid Takeuchi $250 for the $10 front seal...lol.