• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Tl 130 Drive slow after wrong oil

Had hose failure on left drive 2006 tl130 , limped machine on top trailer changed hose filled with what i was told was the correct oil. Long story short it was iso 46 and we have been running 15w40 ( mechanic assured me it was gonna be fine ). Machine initially worked fine, then progressively got slower and slower the next time we used it after repairs. So i limped onto trailer again took home drained oil and its very thin and dark. Filters looked good no metal no trash, Changed oil to the normal fleet grade 15w40 we been using plus the filters. If this doesnt work... New pump? Looking for advise or similar experience

heymccall

Takeuchi calls for 10w30 oil in the hydraulic system on that model.
How many hours on machine?
Is everything slow? Boom? Bucket?

While both drives share the hydraulic oil, they are separate pump systems, and separate from the boom/ bucket pump. If both sides are slow, I'd start by verifying pilot pressure.

Both sides slowed, bucket still able to pick up a full load of gravel and lift front of machine. So no loses of power to the boom/bucket. Changed pilot filter, got dark and didnt want to upset the misses firing machine up to see if issue was fixed.

Not all but pretty close, didnt get a chance to work on it this evening due to the pouring rain. But hoping the fresh oil of a heavier weight will help with the drive power issue.

heymccall

I run 10w TO4 oil in all of my Takeuchis, and, even then, the pilot filter can collapse at temps under 20°F if not warmed up a bit before full operation.
And I've run 10w in them since first change-out, and a few are over 10k hours now.
Takeuchi recommends 10w30, so, why 15w40? Inquiring minds wanna know.

JLarson

Occupation
Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
I know of a couple of places that run 15-40 in everything, results widely vary lol.

its got 3000 hours on 15w40, seems like its been working pretty good thus far. Makes for ease of maintenance between the trucks and the the skiddy. I just run a small excavation business afterhours and on my days off my primary job, so keeping over head and streamlining of materials is rather important.

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
I think the limping onto the trailer low on oil had more to do with your problem than the 46 oil. 46 is more than heavy enough for that system.

skata

Thin oil does make a difference in these machines. On my tl140, when it got real hot, the drive motors felt like they got weaker. I put in 10w-40 and I don't notice a performance drop now, when it gets hot.