• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Tires today, new brakes Monday on the 20-ton

skyking1

Other than a bath and the reflectors, this project is about done!
I ran new wiring bow to stern, new pigtail, painted the wheels and frame, put on new decking.

skyking1

I crawled under to look at the brakes when I parked it at the tire shop. I found a huge new split inboard, I felt "Clint Eastwood Lucky" about that one. Dang.
PXL_20210922_161839892.jpg

I think I got all I could out of these linings.

PXL_20210922_161918632.jpg

Drums look decent, the step is from .050 to .080 with my calibrated finger. I might get lucky on those.

Last edited:

skyking1

it's really only about an eighth of an inch at the back edge of all of them at the back bottom. The S-cam bushings and seals have never been changed to my knowledge.
nothing's been done to those brakes besides my crawling under there and looking at them. Thank you for looking.
they measure 16x7, and I got a quote from a local shop here for $330 an axle if they don't have to break the drums off the rims and they can just take them off as a unit.
They were recommended by the local commercial friction shop just down the road.
The good news is I have eight new hankook h37s on the ground @375 each.
PXL_20210922_202119446.jpg

Truck Shop

It's the center of shoe block that matters, the arc of shoe is designed to wear the ends slow. The big issue is are the drums wearing fairly straight.
Drum convex-shoe block concave. inboard/outboard.

skyking1

thanks Mike I see a very thin layer of material that is the lining correct? then the next is a block that's attached to the metal of the shoe. ,

Truck Shop

It's all one block-two blocks each shoe web. The ledge is the wear indicator, when it
reaches that point it's close to replacement time.

skyking1

here's the only pictures I have on my phone I'm out of town for a couple days to a wedding. I had it wrong I figured once that first material was almost gone it was time to change it. PXL_20210922_161940065.jpgrPXL_20210922_161930297.jpg

skyking1

I can call the guy today and get in his schedule for first thing next week, but if you think I'm jumping the gun I won't do it, they are working great. I just don't have any record of any service done to them beyond safety inspections.
I put maybe 2,000 mi a year on this trailer at the very most.

Don.S

Good to know my little freak out and refusal to drive the truck was justified. Trailer went to the shop the next day and shoes and drums were done. Hard to Believe that trailer passed inspection just a few months before.