• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

tires for asphalt

soapstoneguy

Hey guys
I have a case 40xt that I run on asphalt all the time. What are the best tires for this application and where do you guys recommend I buy them from? They are 10x16.5.
I've thought about just capping my old ones with a smooth surface but don't know if they will work or if the cost is the same as new/better tires.
Thanks

crewchief888

solid flex is what i'd go with.

you are probably looking in the area of $2500 a set.

local dealer or commercial tire distributor would be my best guess.
shipping costs will kill you...

:drinkup

BSM773

We were clearing debris in New Orleans after Katrina and on the Asphalt 12 hours a day. Did no off-road work so I put a set of bias 12 ply trailer tires on the skidsteers. They worked great and we're half the price. They highway tread tires are prolly not any good off-road though I would think.

Delmer

That's what I was thinking. Or if your casings aren't too old or wore out, why not recap them? If you can find somebody to do it anymore?

Less traction from a highway tire compound isn't a problem, might even be easier on your drive system. Skidsteers are kind of designed to work in slop and muck, I always wondered if hard surfaces and good traction were harder on them.

msllc

If keeping cost as low as possible is the main goal, I would use cheap truck tires. I've heard of guys using 33" x 16.5" tires. I know that sounds really tall, but it is what size I have heard these cheap penny saving guys use.

If the main goal is longevity, then I would suggest new solid rubber tires from bobcat. They may cost around $2,000, but they will last a very long time.