• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

tired of pickups going bigger?

Randy88

I'm tired of pickups, they are a pain to work on and it seems theres always something wrong with them, you almost have to dismantle the cab to get at the engine, let alone work on it, the diesels are worse IMO for working on or repairing, all brands have their perticular set of problems, my mechanics are telling me and the fuel milage sucks on all of them. I'm wanting to go diesel this time around so I can pull something and am not up for the government motors thng, even though I did like the 4500 series truck the best, I guess I'd had enough of government bailouts or something, that and all the gm porducts I'd owned in the past caused major problems and left a sour taste in my mouth. Dodge is basically broke and also got a bailout, the 3500 diesel is a nightmare to work on or get at and work on and ford, well, lets say I really couldn't see the engine let alone do anything with it, how did they cram that much stuff into such a small area?

My pickup mechanics didn't really have a recommendation for me, they all claimed all three have major problems, I usually buy new or almost new and drive them until they die, my old dodge made it 19 years and was trouble free, loved it and even cried when it died. Bought a used ford next and had it five years and now they tell me the exhaust manifolds are shot along with the entire exhaust system, cost more than the trucks worth, had enough problems with this one I really don't want to fix it, so I'm back looking, and not really impressed and after talking to the independant mechanics am really confused as to what to buy.

Then along came my heavy truck mechanics also independants and recommended a small truck with a flatbed, no its not four wheel drive but it would have a diesel engine, tilt hood, so you can get at the engine, larger tires and if I could find one with it air brakes, they have the cab and a half option, or 4 door option, could pull a descent size trailer, get no worse millage than a pickup and with air ride suspension ride almost as good as a pickup. This really sparked my interest, I've looked at several FL60,70,80's and also international 4000 series trucks from the older 4700's to the newer 4300's, could get a larger truck that could pull something with air brakes on the trailer and haul even a smaller cat, the air brake thing is really appealing, would have to have a cdl anyhow with a diesel pickup and gooseneck trailer, have found a few used one under the cdl with air brakes and would only need a chaufers liscense if I didn't pull a trailer.

Anyhow anybody done it before, good bad or not sure, the upside is they are used a lot cheaper than even a used pickup, new, about the same if you set them up about the same, no 4x4, do they ride as good? My guys tell me the parts are a lot cheaper than pickups, don't know about that one thought, they should last and hold up better, I can actullly get them as a work truck not with carpeted interior and heated leather seats, but I guess thats an option too if I wanted it, but not really. I could tilt the hood and actually see the engine and get at it in say five minutes instead of taking the front half of the truck apart, the engines should be built better than a v8 diesel, I was looking at the inline 6 international and also cummins, the international doesn't need all the emmisions crap as of yet they passed the test so far, cummins no. Anyway is a guy crazy for driving a truck with say a 25500 or 26000 gvwr around in place of a pickup. I'd never thought to jump into a truck that size to go 500 miles to a sale before or run uptown for parts or out for supper in it? I'm not one for bells and whistles, I don't want all the suff on a truck for going to work, with grease and mud all over me and having to jump into a truck to get home and cleaned up, we use the pressure washer every now and then on the floorboards now to get them clean. I'm wanting a flatbed for sure and most places I go its too muddy to drive my 4x4 in the field now so we haul a four wheeler to the job site to save walking from high ground. Start throwing ideas and criticism at me, don't feel bad telling me I've fallen off the deep end and need to be committed and why.

mitch504

A few random thoughts:

On newer model ford diesel p'ups much engine repair is done by removing the cab and fenders.

I own no medium duty trucks anymore, but I have a 38,000 lbs GVWR, 90,000 lbs GCWR, single axle Mack tractor. It gets about 11 mpg empty. Parts for it are generally much cheaper than pickup parts, because there is so much commonality among class 8 trucks.

My brother owns a dually freightliner sprinter van. It rides good, handles well, keeps up with traffic, and gets over 25 mpg. It is available with single or dual wheels, and as a cab and chassis you can put a flatbed on.

When I replace my c-30 I am considering a japanese cabover. Very durable, good ride, mileage in the 20's, and mitsubishi sells a 14,000 GVWR 4x4. These trucks are used all over the world where people don't take near as good a care of their vehicles as we do.

Let us know what you decide, and how happy you are a year later. Good luck.

Last edited:

Randy88

On my current ford pickup thats not a diesel but a gasser, they are telling me its cheaper and easier to take the engine out and fix it then put it back in, now in order to do that they lift the cab off the chassis at the same time and hold it up suspended and then reverse the process, they tell me the new ones are worse? My service truck is an older IH 4900 and has a 466 in it and we had to put in new injectors, pull the head, take off and rebuild the injection pump, give it a valve job and replace the turbo and we did it without any problems with the hood still on and in five minutes we were taking it apart and in a few hours we had it totally dismanteled, in a few hours I don't think I'd have found the engine on a pickup yet and would still be taking off the front end. If this is progress in innovation I'm not seeing it. Not to mention when they are about 10 years old or 100,000 miles whichever comes first the self destruct switch must come on automatically or something. I'd never though of the jap stuff before there really aren't many around here but maybe I'll look at them as well. thanks for the reply

Komatsu 150

A few random thoughts:

On newer model ford diesel p'ups much engine repair is done by removing the cab and fenders.

I own no medium duty trucks anymore, but I have a 38,000 lbs GVWR, 90,000 lbs GCWR, single axle Mack tractor. It gets about 11 mpg empty. Parts for it are generally much cheaper than pickup parts, because there is so much commonality among class 8 trucks.

My brother owns a dually freightliner sprinter van. It rides good, handles well, keeps up with traffic, and gets over 25 mpg. It is available with single or dual wheels, and as a cab and chassis you can put a flatbed on.

When I replace my c-30 I am considering a japanese cabover. Very durable, good ride, mileage in the 20's, and mitsubishi sells a 14,000 GVWR 4x4. These trucks are used all over the world where people don't take near as good a care of their vehicles as we do.

Let us know what you decide, and how happy you are a year later. Good luck.

I was looking seriously at the Sprinter cab and chassis with a service body as it's a very attractive package. What killed it for me was the low towing capacity - just 5000 lbs.

ScottAR

I've been looking at the IH 4700LPX I think they are... Most are 21Kgvw. 7.3/allison and pretty cheap. Still hyd brakes usually is a bit of a short coming but they would still fit on a city street and be big enough to carry a few things. Most are geared pretty short so long trips would be not much fun but for everyday use it wouldn't matter as much.

amunderdog

Buy a real truck instead of the new urban poser.
These trucks get great reviews.
http://www.hino.com/
They have a neat comparison chart there.
Anyway a real truck will have a flip front end or flip cab over design

Randy88

Well I did the purchase, my wife got what she wanted and thats a full four door truck, we've been looking for a few years now and finally bought a freightliner with four doors and a flatbed, its under a cdl but has super low pro 22.5's just like my triaxle lowboy and also has air brakes and a cummins engine, first thing I noticed was as long as it is it turns shorter than about any pickup I drove. The milage empty seems to be around 13-14, I found it used and has about 80,000 miles on it and its equiped with fifth wheel mountings welded onto the bed but the plates off so my standard plates will fit it, a gooseneck ball, a soon to be mounted pintle hitch, and a regular tube receiver hitch, so my options are pretty good I can pull about anything I want, it has air plumbed to the rear for trailer brakes, a standard semi electrical hookup, a smaller livestock trailer plug and also a four wire coversion to pull small trailers. We are putting in a newer clutch and going with a 13 speed fuller eaton tranny thats rebuilt and putting toolboxes on the front of the bed and a newer headache rack on the front of the bed so I can put strobe lights on for added visability for when we unload equipment along side the road. Its just under cdl specs for weight so thats another good deal for me and we are unhooking one of the 95 gallon tanks and plumbing it with a pump for refueling my equipment on the job and that way I don't need to take up room on the 10 ft bed for a fuel tank as well, only the pump and hose.

My whole family is amayzed at the room in the cab and how much we can cram and put in the back seat and keep it dry. I've only driven it a little say a few thousand miles and the visability is beyond excellent in all directions, its equiped with an air ride cab and spring suspension but the ride is out of this world, way better than even one of my half ton pickups. We are putting in some tool boxes for now in the back to hold a few tools and more going under the bed for storage but they'll have to wait until after the fall rush and harvest. Its got a 8.3 cummins and has power to spare for most anything we have done already coupled with my 13 speed tranny we are waiting to put in as soon as it shows up I can't wait to try it out pulling my tag and a dozer on it. The spicer 7 speed has a gear bad in it and I'm not going to rebuild it and for a few dollars more I can get the lightweight 13 and have two overdrives for when I'm empty and longer runs. Its equiped with fuel heaters, a full set of guages, and no bs on the interior, just basic vinyl floor mats and simple seats, no power anything to fix and go wrong. The best part was yesterday morning I pulled it up on ramps and tilted the hood and in five minutes I had the oil drained and filters changed and was dumping new oil back in and stood beside the engine while doing it all, everythings accesable and easy to get at just like my semi's and service truck and I changed the filters standing up and not looking up by laying on my back under the truck and having the oil drip down my arm and on my head like I have to do to reach the filters on my pickups.

Don't know if its the right thing or not but as of yet I haven't seen a down side, its even got tow hooks on the front so if I need to pull it out I have a place to hook to, something my pickups never did and was always trying to figure out where to hook to so I didn't tear the front end off the pickup. My kids thought I'd miss not having 4 wheel drive and I don't think I will, I was always stuck with my pickup anyway and now I'll just not go there at all, we usually haul around a four wheeler anyhow because my picup wouldn't go anywhere I wanted anyhow and we are thinking about a different trailer to go behind this to haul it along to our jobsites and use it in the wet areas but haven't decided on a design yet or seen anything that jumped out at me as the answer for easy and a neat idea yet. After we get some more use out of it and have pulled a lot more stuff around and figured out what problems we have I'll update this and let you know but for now I'm happy and my wife who was hesitant at first, no downright objective to the idea of a small truck and wanted a diesel pickup has come around and said I'll take the four door and you can drive the pickups so we'll see, she drives all my semi's now and delivers my equpiment to the job sites so the adjustement wasn't a big one for her. One of my sons was thinking also about a diesel pickup and afrter driving and being around this even he's thinking a small truck with a flatbed and air ride suspension and cab and a smaller cummins engine, he kinda likes the truck and like he said, the visabity is beyond words, wow. I told them all to remember none were excited about the idea and now its my truck and not theirs, I drive it when I want to and they can drive the rest of the picckups from here on out or go get one for themselves.

masterwelder

Randy, do you have any pic's to share? I feel your pain with the diesel p/u. I will be interested to see how the bigger truck works out in the long run. As far as getting stuck with a 4 wheel drive, it usually happens when you try to go some where that's unrealistic in the first place. With a little common since, good tires and some weight you can get around pretty good with a 2 wheel drive truck. Good luck with it.