• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Tire tumor

Jeff D.

While doing a walk around on my trailer today I noticed a unusual "growth" growing from the sidewall of a tire.:eek:

Attachments

• antiques road show 008 (3).jpg
    antiques road show 008 (3).jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 699
  • antiques road show 009 (3).jpg
    antiques road show 009 (3).jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 574

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
Time to replace the tire also if you are going to take the wheel off yourself take the valve stem out and let the air out of the tire. Just make sure you right NFG on the tire.

I have had light truck tires do that and I have seen truck tires do that aswell but not that bad. Usually what causes that is if the tire has hit a curb too hard and one othe belts has let go.

Jeff D.

Ford LT-9000 said:
Usually what causes that is if the tire has hit a curb too hard and one othe belts has let go.
That's exactly what happened too. You see the dirt on the side wall, well they recently put the new curbs in at a store I deliver, and they have their equipment, containers, etc. parked all around the dock, in the way. It was a 53' loaded heavy, and I had to use every inch of space to get the trailer in the dock.:spaz

Orchard Ex

Super Moderator
Jeff D. said:
well they recently put the new curbs in at a store I deliver, and they
Yeah, just admit it, they put grade stakes in where the loading dock is being expanded and you just HAD to run over them...

Wait - wrong thread.... Sorry...

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Too bad the tire is ruined it looks like a virgin Michelin that could have been recapped and used on the trailer again.

What the scrap yards that do metal recycling have a policy if you ruin a tire in their yard they will buy you a new tire.

I know 53's can be heavy and overloaded we usually put 25-30 ton into them when we load seafood.

Jeff D.

Orchard Ex said:
Yeah, just admit it, they put grade stakes in where the loading dock is being expanded and you just HAD to run over them...
:yup I didn't want too say that though.
Orchard Ex said:
Wait - wrong thread.... Sorry...
You're sorry?? I just barely got out of "that" thread alive.

Digger was holding me, Squizzy punching me in the belly, and Tyler was biting my ankle.:eek:

Thank God LittleDenny stepped in!!

So now, officially it was a "curb".

Jeff D.

Ford LT-9000 said:
I know 53's can be heavy and overloaded we usually put 25-30.............

My problem is I have to slide the tandems all the way up, in order to shorten the trailer wheelbase enough to get in there. They are usually overloaded pretty good at that point.:yup

Jeff D.

xkvator said:
you mean the tire...or the wheel?:rolleyes:

Xkvator, that brown stuff on the rim, that'll buff right out!:bouncegri

Actually it's a company trailer, I'm lucky it has wheels at all.:yup

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Most 53's in B.C. are tridems very some are tandems but mostly tridems. The tridems are really hard on tires you see guys making a tight turn with a fully loaded trailer the tires leaving half the tread on the ground.

There are still tandem axle highboys running around with 10.00-20 tube type bias :rolleyes:

Jeff D.

I use to haul paper out of Thunder Bay Ont. and would notice alot more triple axle trailers up there. Lot's of "B" trains too. I've never seen them in the states, and don't know why. Atleast you can back them up, somewhat. The wiggle wagon doubles we have bunch up as soon as you put it in reverse.

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Here in B.C. we use super B trains which you probably know triaxle lead tandem axle trail trailer they are truck killers. You can legally gross 140,000lbs with a "B" usually highboys get used alot to carry building materials. You see a "B" loaded up with drywall (gyproc) thats heavy as h*ll.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
I had that happen on a tire, once, a long time ago. (On a truck we used only on site.) If I remember correctly, once the "tumor" burst, it still held air ok.

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
First time I saw one of those it was on the front wheel of my bike and by the time I relised what it was I was on the ground. The bruse on my arme turned out to be larger then the one on the bike.

Jeff D.

On my way to the tire shop today too get that tire changed the tumor let go.

It was like Digger said though, and the tire held air just fine. The seperation was between the sidewall, and the steel/rubber casing. It must have had a very tiny hole/leak through the inner casing.

It really seemed odd to see a sidewall blown out and still have the tire hold air.