• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Tire Question

JTKenworth

Occupation
Owner Operator - 1989 Kenworth C500B, Evans Log Tr
I've got a '80 GMC Topkick with 10:00-20 tires which are getting pretty bad. After calling the tire shop they informed me that they do not make that size anymore and would have to change to 11R22.5 As I don't know much about the subject is this as as simple as putting 22.5 tires on the old rims, or do I have to replace everthing?

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
Im running across the same problem with my truck, it has 10-22's, they are the Dayton rims and I have already found some used 24.5 Dayton rims, to install 11R-24.5 tires. Its hard to bite the bullet and buy 8 tires at once. If you have a truck salvage place in your area, they may have used tires, or replacement rims, but make sure they are not recaps and they dont have any weathering/cracks.
Is your rims Dayton (2 piece) Im sure they are, I wasnt aware that you could buy Dayton 22.5 rims, I thought I was told 24.5 was the smallest one piece rim that was available, thats the reason I bought the 24.5 rims. Hummm Ive got to check on that one
I am going with a LoPro tire 285x24.5, they are cheaper, more available and about the same height as the 10-20's
Ill check with my tire man and see what he says

mitch504

First off, anybody who told you nobody makes 10.00-20s is full of it, because the container companies are using thousands of brand new ones so people don't steal them. The utilty companies use many of them for drive tires because you can get more aggressive lugs in a bias than a radial.

To change to 11R22.5s, you must get new rims because 20s are tube type, and 22.5s are the tubeless equivalent. 20 and 22.5 are the rim diameters.

Good luck, and find a better truck tire store,
Mitch

bpogue

I ran into the same problem when I had to get tires for my International single axle truck last year. Yes they do still make 10 R20 tires, just not nearly as many varieties are available. Unfortunately, I found them to be much more expensive than the 22.5s. It cost me about the same money to buy new 10-20s or to buy new 11-22.5 and new rims. I actually found some good used 22.5s and just bought new rims. It was a lot cheaper that way.

mitch504

Willis,
22.5 daytons are very common, I have about 64 of them rolling.

10.00-22s are the same height as 11-24.5s; 10.00R22 = 11R24.5; 10.00-20 = 11-22.5; 10.00R20 = 11R22.5.

It would not suprise me that new 10.00-22s are very hard to find, but both truck tire stores in andrews stock new 10.00-20s.

akroadrunner

Occupation
Gravel Pit/ Trucking/Owner
You will be much happier with the radial tires. Bite the bullet and get the new tires and wheels. If you can't afford new tires and wheels you aren't charging enough for your truck.

rigandig

Another disadvantage to 10.00 x 20's and 10.00 x 22 tires is finding a tire man that will service a split rim. They are still out there, but getting harder to find. And a big one is if you haul heavy for any distance, they don't disperse the heat as well as the tubeless tires.

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
break down and but the rims and 11.00 x 22.5 tubeless. Once you have had the tubeless for a while you will wonder why you did not do it a long time ago.

Mytopkick

Occupation
Electrical Designer
I have a 1992 GMC Topkick (33,000 GVW with air brakes) that I building up. I have 10.00R20 tires on split rims. I would like to change them over to something safer. More and more people wont touch split rims. Did you swap out your rims? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Chad

freedom digger

If you go to 11.00 22.5s you need to pick up new rims. any truck bone yard will have a load of them or just post on craigslist that you are looking for them. If you go with them and they are bud style you will need to make sure they are truly bud and not hub pilot.
You can tell the difference by the wheel stud hole. A bud has a tapered hole used for centering the wheel.Hub pilot has a straight drilled hole.
The good part of switching is that if you have a sledge hammer ,a couple of pry bars and a strong back you can swap your own tires without the risk of blowing your head off.
As for recaps they are fine for the drivers not legal for the steers. I have put many thousands of miles on recaps and never a separation

JTKenworth

Occupation
Owner Operator - 1989 Kenworth C500B, Evans Log Tr
Hey Chad, yea I swapped them out. I bought some used rims and some 11R22.5 recaps for the drives. I don't know where in Maine you live but the used rims ran me $50 at Maine Commercial Tire, but you could also try White and Bradstreet down to Augusta. You'll be very happy with the swap, like a guy said in a previous post now I can change my own tires it's a lot more convienent and safer

Mytopkick

Occupation
Electrical Designer
Thanks for the HELP (JTKenworth). I live in Bowdoin Maine. Yes I have been to White and Bradstreet many times (grew up next store to it). Could you write to me personally so I could talk to you easier and possably see some pictures? Thanks Chad (myjunkmail9@comcast.net)

grandpa

If you go to 11.00 22.5s you need to pick up new rims. any truck bone yard will have a load of them or just post on craigslist that you are looking for them. If you go with them and they are bud style you will need to make sure they are truly bud and not hub pilot.
You can tell the difference by the wheel stud hole. A bud has a tapered hole used for centering the wheel.Hub pilot has a straight drilled hole.
The good part of switching is that if you have a sledge hammer ,a couple of pry bars and a strong back you can swap your own tires without the risk of blowing your head off.
As for recaps they are fine for the drivers not legal for the steers. I have put many thousands of miles on recaps and never a separation

Maybe in your state they are not legal... at least thats what the tire dealer tell you.. they are legal in minnesota to run on steer axle.

cetane

Maybe in your state they are not legal... at least thats what the tire dealer tell you.. they are legal in minnesota to run on steer axle.

In New York state retreads are legal on the front just not on buses.

tireman

"The good part of switching is that if you have a sledge hammer ,a couple of pry bars and a strong back you can swap your own tires without the risk of blowing your head off."

Any time you inflate a tire, you risk blowing yourself up.You still stand a substantial risk of injury if you don't know what you are doing. Without adequate lubrication and proper tire irons, you most assuredly will damage the tire's beads.This can and will result in catastrophic failure.Maybe now as you inflate it, maybe later on as it goes down the road, or it will get rejected for retreading or casing credit because the bead is screwed up.Now how much did you save by beating it on there with your sledge hammer?

briggins34

i'm sure you can find 1000-20 truck tires at inter city tire. i see container trailers at their place in new jersey all the time and 99% of them use that size, as someone else already said. their website in www.intercitytire.biz. their prices are also pretty reasonable.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Welcome to the Forums briggins34. If you would please take the time, scroll through the Forum rules and familiarize yourself with the site rules. One specifically about advertising - https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/...ement.php?f=81

From the RULES Page

Aside from the "for sale" area, for member's personally owned goods, advertising of goods and services is not permitted unless sponsoring heavyequipmentforums.com. A vendor of goods or services may make one introductory post explaining their product or service and may answer questions about such within that thread. No further promotion of your product or service may be made without sponsorship. If you are interested in becoming a sponsor, click “Contact Us” at the bottom of any page.

Special Note: Vendors of goods or services, or their representatives, who join the forums and make no worthwhile contributions other than to post multiple links to said goods and services are considered spammers. Spammers will have their posts removed, and their membership terminated with extreme prejudice.

Your first post is your "freebie". If you are interested in becoming a sponsor and help support the HEF community, please contact the site founder Steve Frazier. Thank you for you cooperation.

Freightrain

I swapped to 11R22.5 on my Mack. Used rims were $50 each(cleaned/painted). This was 10 yrs ago...........so don't hold your breathe for cheap anymore. Tires have doubled since then and I dread the fact I ever have to buy new ones LOL!!