• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Tire orientation

which way?

• Total voters

BCB

Do you guys run all four tires with the chevrons going the same way or do you turn two facing forward and two facing backward?

I'm in a small argument with a buddy of mine. lets see how the poll goes then i'll tell the story.

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
Hmmmmm ? maybe we should run all four backwards so we do a half an hour in twenty minutes and then we'll know if we're com'n or go'n .....LOL

tonka

Occupation
Equipment Operator
By "Chevrons" I’m assuming you mean arrows, the tires are directional. Witch means if you run them in the wrong direction you run the risk of premature failure. So this is why (except on a motor grader in the front) you should mount your tires with the arrows going forward….

stovein

The chevron design on a tractor tire is always with the point facing forward, the purpose is so the tire is supposedly self cleaning in dirt. If they were the other way the dirt or mud would fill the tread right away.

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
Stovein ....Arrow pointing of the chevron when you're looking at the tire on the top or on the bottom ? ..... Hmmmmm ....gotta think about this ..... lol ..... but seriously not all tire have a direction of rotation arrow on the sidewall especially if the tire manufacturer has add'd the rim guard afterwards ..... and as you stated exactly they are designed to self clean and to bite in going forward in the push or pull as on a tractor ...."WHO HAS MORE FUN THAN PEOPLE"

Bumpsteer

Occupation
Mechanical designer
Agriculture type tires will actually get better flotation when ran backwards. I've seen it most often on pull behind grain carts. Some atv tires are also used this way to increase flotation.
Never seen R4 tires backwards, except on grader fronts.

Ed

Fat Dan

Agriculture type tires will actually get better flotation when ran backwards. I've seen it most often on pull behind grain carts. Some atv tires are also used this way to increase flotation.
Never seen R4 tires backwards, except on grader fronts.

Ed
I have a question which ponders the same query but it seems to be an old 'unagreement'. I can not for the life of me figure out where I've heard it but I do know it was way before the internet and may have been from an old timer back when I was knee high to a tall assed Indian. On equipment tires that have directional tractor V type luge (TL) only the drive tires need to be in the proper direction e.g. Motor Grader. Where the front (non drive) tires are to be put on in reverse. For one, to help hold front tires in place when in soft or side toque situations and two; so it has less drag on the road surface in normal operation. OEM front tires on non drive equipment of that ilk are generality rounded top ribbed type tread (e.g. farm tractor, Motor Grader). Motor Graders have heavier sidewall tires because of the heavy attachments and wheel lean.
Just been pondering that for some time now myself. I know equipment has changed over the last three or four hundred years and the information itself may be obsolete as well.
Caterpillar 8T1.jpg reversed direction
IMG_2819.JPG Tractor Lug Tread (TL)
M311 Adames 1946c.jpg post-114211-0-48771900-1419389153.jpg OEM Ribbed Tread

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Spray Coupe Ag equipment puts fronts on reversed so can push out of stuck conditions if happens, does not always work or really help per the guys running them. Have seen it done both ways but if want Positive Forward Traction run all four with Chevrons in Dig direction or go to a Non Directional Tire.

Steers(Non Powered) are reversed to allow Lug tips to contact First and gain bite to steer.

56wrench

also, on pull-type equipment with chevron type bars, they are run backwards compared to a drive tire. this allows them to roll over and through lumps of soft material and mud better without loss of rotation(skidding). i found that out from personal experience on an implement i bought used that had them installed for a drive direction of rotation. on any combines the rear steering tires with chevron lugs are run backwards as well as grain carts and other types of non-drive agriculture applications. the same applies to other types of directional treads like industrial/grader tires in non-drive applications

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Most of the skid steers I've looked at over the years put the front tires on with the chevrons pointing forward and the rear tires on with the chevrons facing in reverse. I've never heard any logical reason for it. I just know that is what I have observed. I'm guessing that it might make it a little easier to actually turn the machine with less damage to the tire treads.

eastroad

R1 tires on the front of a MFWD tractor run a lot in on-road service (such as roadside mowing) will wear more evenly and give less vibration if mounted in reverse. An extreme example I have run into was the old Goodyear long bar-short bar tractor tires. Lots of vibration. On a chopper or combine run slowly on a hard surface, the operator would feel like the cab was rocking back and forth.

Welder Dave

The Chevron design is so that mud or loose material will be pushed out the side so they can get the best traction. The lugs also grip much more when installed "forward". Having them backwards pulls more material under them. On a tractor with only rear wheel drive you really notice the difference, especially if spinning and or stuck. Often you can't reverse out of mud that you can drive forward through. That's why it's usually easier to get unstuck if the tractor can be pulled forward. I've never seen a new skid steer with anything but all 4 tires installed for the best traction going forward. I've seen other machines with 4 wheel drive have the tires mounted opposite direction on each axle. On non powered axles, R4 tires get longer life when roading at higher speeds when installed "backwards". Not sure but on something like a grader might make turning easier because they aren't trying to dig in as much.

Last edited:

Welder Dave

That video is pretty much what I said above. Would be nice to have a definitive answer on why grader front tires are backwards. Would have better flotation but less traction when steering if it's muddy.

mitch504

I have lots of experience with this question. Directional tires work like a ratchet. Unpowered wheels will slide MUCH easier if the directional tires are installed in the conventional direction. If the unpowered tires are installed "backwards" the unpowered wheels will keep turning much longer.

I can tell you, running 2 wd spreader trucks, when your front wheels stop turning, you will be stuck in about 4 feet. Sliding tires pile dirt.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
On skid steers all the tires are powered. In reverse the rear wheels become the steering wheels. Keep in mind the guy in the video works for a dealer and is talking about the type of tires that he sells. Ask some other dealer and you will likely get a different answer just like what is happening here.

I tend to think most people over think the issue. No one can quantify the facts through research. Most skid steer tires on machines I've looked at for trade in have mismatched tires and tread patterns because they die by damage on not because the treads are worn out.

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
On skid steers all the tires are powered. In reverse the rear wheels become the steering wheels. Keep in mind the guy in the video works for a dealer and is talking about the type of tires that he sells. Ask some other dealer and you will likely get a different answer just like what is happening here.

I tend to think most people over think the issue. No one can quantify the facts through research. Most skid steer tires on machines I've looked at for trade in have mismatched tires and tread patterns because they die by damage on not because the treads are worn out.

The only time I have seen skid steer tires that were actually worn out was on solids . . .