• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

tips on backing up a trailer with mirrors

DwainG

Top-half or bottom-half of steering wheel is how an old-timer taught me. I found it very helpful. If you're driving a straight truck use only the top half of the steering wheel. With a trailer, use the bottom half. Watch rear of truck or trailer in your mirrors, and turn the wheel in the direction you want it to go. You will want good full-length mirrors so you can see the top corners of a trailer, and the ground behind it also. Use the biggest convex mirrors you have room for. They're not much help for backing, but they are invaluable for lane-changing and for seeing your blind spots.
DwainG

544D10

Occupation
Lucas & Mercier Construction Co.
I have never driven a big truck but have worked on countless jobs around them and have seen more than a few times where the front of the truck strikes an object/car because the driver is fixated (sp) on his mirrors. I know its not easy but when backing you have to be aware of the front also.

DwainG

You are so right! After posting I realized I should have mentioned that this technique is intended to help a driver back in a straight line with small corrections, not turning while backing.

itsgottobegreen

Kevin said:
Quite often you will see an old jeep kicking around a boatyard with a trailer hitch on the front bumper for launching boats. Visibility is much better and they are a lot easier to drive. They seem to be one of the few vehicles that you can drive into the salt water up to the front seats on a daily basis and still hold together.
RonG said:
Kevin,back in the '50's there was a doctor over in Sullivan that did just that!
He had a nice new Jeep with a trailer ball welded to the front bumper.

My grandfather's 1946 wills jeep has two balls on the front, along with an original 1946 meyer's plow. He bought it from the original owner. Who bought it solely to pull his airplane in and out of his hanger and to plow his house.

Best part is my grandfather still uses it to plow snow every year. And jocky trailers around his shop.

544D10 said:
Iseen more than a few times where the front of the truck strikes an object/car because the driver is fixated (sp) on his mirrors. I know its not easy but when backing you have to be aware of the front also.
Been there done that with a F-150 and 6 by 12 trailer. I told my newest guy that when I was teaching him how to back up a trailer. Always watch the front end, because you can easly take something out and not realize you were that close.

Last edited: