• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

tips for testing used Hydraulic Breaker?

gumper

Just bought a used Bobcat HB980 Hydraulic Breaker at an online auction. Anybody have any tips on how to tell if it is working efficiently....or if it needs a rebuild? It was a rental unit so I'm sure it was treated with love and tenderness....:D

bobcatmechanic

Occupation
bobcat mechanic
just hook it up and it should hit hard and not sound like a machine gun going off meaning if it hits really really fast there is something wrong internal but on those they only have 1 charge port and its under the mounting frame for the excavator half of it best thing to do take it to a dealer and have them check the charge and run it or just run it and see what you think of it if it breaks the concrete its good also be careful or dry firing that because there is a ring in there that will break and it wont hit correctly you have to tear it completly down and replace the ring and reseal the breaker also grease the bit every few hours of operation

gumper

Thanks. It just arrived today. Looks to be in relatively good shape, I'll give it a workout over the weekend and see how it goes.

Iron Horse

You will want to hope it's OK , hooking a possibly contaminated implement up to your clean hydraulic system could be costly . Chances are it is good , but who knows what sort of crappy machines that it has been used on .

gumper

We actually took it apart and drained the oil just for that reason who knows what was in it. Should be good now. I'll let you guys know how it works once the temps here get above 15 deg F. :D