• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Timing a 4.9 Ford

bull

Hey guys, I need a bit of help.

I have a 1988 F350 Ford Service truck, 4.9 litre (300 ci), 2wd with automatic trans. and ac. It is EFI.

I replaced the Ignition Control Module and the Distributor pick-up coil (had to pull distributor, what a pain). It is out of time, since I had to pull distributor to replace the pick-up coil.

Anybody know how to time this thing.

I've used the scribe mark (not the big notch) on the crank pulley and the deep v notch (passenger side) on the block. This is 10 degrees before TDC right?

Everyone says pull the "spout". What is a spout and where is it located and why does it have anything to do with timing?

It won't start.

Any help would be greately appreciated.

jrtraderny

OK, try this pull #1 sparkplug. Wad up a piece of paper towel and stick in plug hole. Bump engine over with starter until paper pops out.
Reinstall distributor with rotor pointing to #1 on dist. cap. This should get you close enough to run, adjust timing from there.
jr

ScottAR

The SPOUT connector where the computer adjusts the timing. If you do not unplug you will be in a never ending battle with the computer on base timing. After getting base timing down, replug the connector and the computer can control the timing curve. I'm not sure on that engine where the connector is. SPOUT like most funny sounding names is an acronym: spark something :confused::D