• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Time to tighten up the circle.

rsherril

Occupation
Geologist, Retired from teaching sciences
JD 570 A - Need to remove some circle shoe shims as it's time to tighten up the circle. Dealer says up to twelve hours if I can get it there, (I'm twenty miles out with no SME plates or insurance). Problem is the eight 1.5 inch nuts don't want to come loose and were placed so you can't get a straight shot at them. I'm thinking about applying some heat with oxygen if necessary but do not want to make matters worse. Suggestions and advice welcome.

clintm

Occupation
trucking,concrete recycling,grading, demolition
put some heat on them if you need to. just don't get it to tight don't forget that the circle will be worn more in the position where the blade is used the most so if you take play out of it there it will get stuck when you turn it to a less used position

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Adjusting a grader circle is not a simple job. It's not just a case of taking shims out to reduce the vertical play. You also have to consider wear between the drive pinion and the teeth. Usually the complete adjustment procedure starts with moving the circle in a fore-and-aft direction to set the backlash between the pinion and the circle, then adjusting all the shoes so that the circle actually moves in a circle, if you get my drift. Lastly it's adjust the vertical play which is where you came in with your original question.

I would see no harm in heating the nuts you refer to, although I would first try giving them a good soaking in penetrating fluid and see how that goes. If you have to heat the nuts then after removing them you need to clean up the bolts as well and lather the whole lot in anti-seize when you reassemble it.

rsherril

Occupation
Thanks, I'll think that I'll go into this project with the help of a professional wrench.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I wasn't trying to frighten you off doing the work, the adjustment is not hard to do but it needs to be done in the proper way which is by doing certain adjustments in a certain order - at least that's how it ought to be done if you want to be satisfied with the results. I would imagine that most people who can swing a wrench could do it if they were given the manual. Even a "professional wrench" could potentially get it wrong if he didn't have the procedure to work to.

Deeretracks

Occupation
Shop Foreman
If you don't have an operators manual, buy one. They aren't all that expensive and the Deere Op Manual has the Circle adjustment sequence in the maintenance section.

rsherril

Occupation
I connected with a mobile mechanic who has the tools that I don't. I have the both the operators manual and the JD technical manual for this machine and it begins with " the purpose of the circle adjustment is two fold: 1) to hold a .02 to .08 inch clearance between the wear plate and the circle". and 2) " to hold radial clearance to permit the circle rotation and to hold a .35 inch maximum distance between the circle drive pinion tip and the circle root."
Start with adjusting the shim packs to obtain the .02 -.08 in clearance, one at a time; then position the moldboard perpendicular to the front axle and operate side shift to, (slightly), force the circle back, that's where 2) comes in with the .35 inch max. clearance between the circle drive pinion tip and the circle root. Take off a little pressure and snug those circle shoe bolts in, recheck the clearance between the circle root and pinion tip.

OK. In addition I need to remember that the circle needs to stay centered and wear on the circle may not be even, so make sure it doesn't hang up when I turn the blade around.

I appreciate the input here and will proceed accordingly:) -Bobgrader 2010 001.jpg

rsherril

Occupation
Took care of the circle adjustment today. Following the advice to rotate the circle assembly around and discovered that it would hang going clockwise because of wear on the circle teeth. A few minutes with an abrasive wheel cleaned up the ridges on those teeth. (Reminded me of going to the dentist and having the bite adjusted after a new crown.) Checked the pinon gear / circle clearance and it was OK in the working positions, a little tighter when perpendicular to the front axle, so we did not have to mess with it.

Found out that the saddle pin problem is a worn out cylinder didn't have the power to retract the pin. Got it to go with a air hammer, but it will need to be replaced or rebuilt. Got both pins "lathered up" with anti-seize so when I get few dollars ahead I'll make that repair. Also took care of a lean wheel pin and yoke that wasn't taking grease.

Lessons learned: A little heat can do wonders. A one inch drive air tool got seven of the eight circle shoe bolts, but it was muscle, leverage and heat that finally got the eighth. An air hammer can do amazing things when it comes to taking pins out. A experienced mobile mechanic saved me time and money. Three hours from start to finish at $85/hr. Money well spent.

Thank you guys for your help here as this was the first circle adjustment for the mechanic and myself.

kindle

Hi
I like the words "Money well spent".
this being the case, am keen to know what is your opinion on the Grader attachments like
Cross slope
Sonic
Laser
GPS
ATS

hello, trying to adjust the circle on on a john deere 770D. Should i follow same steps as the bottom comments? Serial #770DX620426

Last edited:

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
I realize this is an old post, but we just had the draw bar tuned up on our 940 Volvo. The strongo tech came to our shop. Tightened up the quadrants, re timed and adjusted the circle, and put a seal kit in the timing valve in less than 10 hours. I think some shops really milk the hours on these things. Mind you it was still expensive, but our own mechanics would have taken a lot longer than that. We have had really good service with strongo, and since most of the fleet here is Volvo, the same tech always does our work. Cat uses us pretty good as well, because one of their techs lives close by.

rsherril

Occupation
If you haven't done this procedure before, I recommend a professional wrench. There are a lot of intermediate steps that can be frustrating if the damn bolts don[t come loose like they are suppose to. Make sure that your circle can turn 360 degrees when your are done and while your at it, make sure the the blade will slide to both extreams with out binding. Like I said, it[s alot like going to the dentist getting all those worn parts fitting tight again. The procedure should be similar for most blades with the teeth on the inside of the circle.

Thanks for the tips. I am a 3rd year heavy equipment tech apprentice, I work at volvo truck shop. This info was for my uncle working in north region. So any information wouldve been helpful. Thanks for your time.