• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Timberjack 360 pops into neutral

cainmechanical

Hey guys
been thru here a couple times browsing the internet looking for pointers, all here seem quite helpful.
Been working on equipment for a while, this ones got me stumped. Did a search cant find anything quite exact to what this machine is going thru.
Got a Timberjack 360 cable. Cummins engine, serial number 962744. Ive got a long history working on this machine, done a bunch to it but this is kicking my rear. Issue was the machine was stuck in neutral, wouldn't move. Display on the right side flashed between N and two dashes. Using the "emergency get home" toggle switch under the shifter doesn't move the machine either. The display has been replaced due to other previous issues. It had burned up due to wiring issues, since been fixed. Run the output test for the shifter, a couple of the solenoids say no good. Check the signal at the plugs just to be certain, shifter is definitely sending power to all the solenoids when its supposed to. That coupled with the fact that the toggle switch didn't work to move the machine tell me its not a shifter/CPU thing. Replace 4 coils for the solenoids (all but 2nd gear, that whole coil and solenoid was replaced recently due to shifting issues.) The old solenoids were definitely pretty worse for wear. cracked up and rusty and such. Polished up the shafts on the solenoids themselves, put new coils on, button the machine up. Run the output test again, says all is good. Fire the machine up, runs and drives great. Take care of a couple other things for the guy, he heads off into the woods happy as can be.
Calls a little later, saying the same thing is happening, now just intermittent. I assume its a wiring problem I overlooked. Ran the whole harness, cant find anything obvious. Only thing I discover is a relay buried in the belly pan coming off the same harness as the shift solenoid coils. covered in gunk and looking crappy. Test it, it audibly clicks, but only has continuity part time. That relay was the style that has a shroud and seals and such, but still a normal 5 pole 40A relay. I grab a new relay outta the truck, pop her in, tie it up outta the crud. Machine runs cant make it act up again. (ordered the relay with the shroud to insulate the circuit, will swap out when its in). Operator calls back later, same problem, intermittently.
At this point I'm leaning toward wiring problems, but ive scoured that harness. I'm going to look it all over again, but didn't know if anyone here has come across something similar with these machines in the past.

Thanks so much in advance, any pointers appreciated.

cainmechanical

Park brake isn't locking, when it pops into neutral it'll still roll. Hadn't considered transmission pressure or park brake pressure, due to it effecting the module display I was assuming something electronic. If it's electronically monitored tho I suppose it could. Tunnel vision on the shifting electronics. Good pointers I'll check the pressures when I get back to the machine. Thank you

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I take it that this is an older machine? Two things with intermittent problems. First is the ground connections getting corroded at the connectors. I would check those first before going for anything else.

Second item is the older wiring harnesses used those braided plastic covers that let water and oil into the wiring insulation over time. I've seen plenty where the wire insulation deteriorated and started shorting to other wires. Sometimes you can find that with an ohm meter on the highest setting and checking between wires. I always wanted to try a megger for that but never had one to try with.