1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Tight hydraulic fittings

Discussion in 'General Industry Questions' started by Welder Dave, Jun 25, 2022.

1. willie59

willie59 Administrator

Service Manager
    That someone would be me. I totally understand your sentiments as being a dealer tech, that's top notch thinking. But to be clear, I'm not suggesting beating the dog snot out of a fitting, rather, well placed smacks on the steel, not dings, dents, or codswallop. Steel is malleable, any blacksmith knows that and so should wrench benders. Case in point, I once had a 200 class rental excavator on a steep slope blow one of the hoses at the arm (stick) cylinder. That hose failure covered the machine with oil. On that slope with the machine covered with oil was neither a safe nor ideal situation to remove and replace that hose with wrenches, -16 JIC IIRC, I had to get the machine off of that slope to safely replace that hose. Choice of tool, a hammer. Carefully climbed the boom standing on the boom hoist cylinder while firmly gripping the pipes on top of the boom. Once in position, still firmly gripping a pipe with one hand, started smacking the JIC hose connection of the failed hose with the hammer and knocked it loose. Once I got it loose it promptly got a JIC cap fitted to the pipe fitting. Carefully clumb down from the boom, fired it up, lifted boom and walked that slimy animal to flat ground where I could safely do the hose replacement. There are times a hammer is a mechanics best friend. :cool:

2. JD955SC

JD955SC Senior Member

The stupid adapter or elbow always spins loose when you can’t get to it. Turns a 20 minute hose replacement into a half day or worse ordeal.

muddog1975 and Vetech63 like this.
  3. Welder Dave

Welder Dave Senior Member

I'm glad none of the adapters loosened.

4. Vetech63

Vetech63 Senior Member

Define snipe for me.....................cause all I can come up with is when I had a couple of my grandkids trying to sack one with some sticks

muddog1975 and shopguy like this.
  5. mitch504

mitch504 Senior Member

I had somebody on here explain it to me once before, a pipe or other cheater on a wrench.

When I was young, my daddy would have said "extra man", I just call it a pipe.

Vetech63 and Welder Dave like this.
  6. JD955SC

JD955SC Senior Member

Snipe, like “cherry picker”, has a bunch of different meanings lol

Vetech63 likes this.
  7. Welder Dave

A used a length of aluminum pipe over the wrench for more leverage. That's what I call a snipe.

Vetech63 likes this.
  8. Welder Dave

Should have said I used.