• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Tight hydraulic fittings

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Now someone mentioned striking the flat with a hammer and punch. I've done that, it has both helped and hurt. I buy the right wrenches cuz, well, I'm a dealer tech and people tend to frown on seeing gouges and dings.

That someone would be me. I totally understand your sentiments as being a dealer tech, that's top notch thinking. But to be clear, I'm not suggesting beating the dog snot out of a fitting, rather, well placed smacks on the steel, not dings, dents, or codswallop. Steel is malleable, any blacksmith knows that and so should wrench benders. Case in point, I once had a 200 class rental excavator on a steep slope blow one of the hoses at the arm (stick) cylinder. That hose failure covered the machine with oil. On that slope with the machine covered with oil was neither a safe nor ideal situation to remove and replace that hose with wrenches, -16 JIC IIRC, I had to get the machine off of that slope to safely replace that hose. Choice of tool, a hammer. Carefully climbed the boom standing on the boom hoist cylinder while firmly gripping the pipes on top of the boom. Once in position, still firmly gripping a pipe with one hand, started smacking the JIC hose connection of the failed hose with the hammer and knocked it loose. Once I got it loose it promptly got a JIC cap fitted to the pipe fitting. Carefully clumb down from the boom, fired it up, lifted boom and walked that slimy animal to flat ground where I could safely do the hose replacement. There are times a hammer is a mechanics best friend. :cool:

JD955SC

Excluding rust, one thing. Overtightening. There's only one thing that boils my p!ss more than a hose fitting that has been reefed on so much that the nipple comes loose when you try to undo it. The recommended torque for a 1/2" JIC fitting is only 40 lb ft. Go easy people.

The stupid adapter or elbow always spins loose when you can’t get to it. Turns a 20 minute hose replacement into a half day or worse ordeal.