• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Thunderbird Yarders, Loaders, and Etc from the Murray's in Eugene Oregon

bobcat1

1st. post. I have been following this forum for some time. Lot to learn, different from flat land digging. I am especially interested in the older equipment and the history.

Chopper95

In regards to Thunderbird Log Loaders set up as Processors/ Harvesters, are these machines worth the hassle of fixing up and operating compared to today's new machines?

The few TB's that I see come up for sale are early to mid 1990's machines that have generally 10,000 t0 15,000 hours on them, heads are usually Waratah's or Ketco's; how many hours do these machines usually survive to? I really have no idea... However, the nice thing about these machines is that they're relatively inexpensive and have the older mechanically operated / minimal computer interface Cummins engines, which are far better in my opinion than the new IT4 and so on engines of new machines.

I'm a sucker for older iron, especially specialty built pieces with Cummins, but if someone was to go out today and purchase a loader/ processor combo, would an old TB still compete, or should they look at a Madill, or more efficient CAT, JD, etc. products?

TB 946 W626.jpg
TB 1148BC W626.jpg

hoechucker

The 1240 that I posted a picture of would most definetly compete with late model shovels,and would make a seriously wicked processor.as far as I could tell there is no computer or brain.very easy to work on .the 3306 cat engine runs like a champ.and not as hard on fuel as big cat or deere shovel.parts are getting harder to find but you can still search around and get them.and the cabs on the 1240 and 1242 are just as nice and laid out for operator comfort if not better than a new Deere or Cat(in my opinion). If a guy could buy one and have it new lived or a complete rebuild,it would smoke any of the new ones.but then again that's from an operator not an owner who has to pay for it

Chopper95

It's my understanding that TB's are usually nice machines, but I've never been around logging operations or equipment, everything I hear is word of mouth from you guys on here or other operators.

I'm sure finding specialty parts for twenty+ year old machines isn't a walk in the park, but I doubt it's not impossible. I know most of the components were fairly universal (like the Caterpillar undercarriage) or could most likely be substituted with something else I would imagine? I didn't realize some models had CAT engines, I thought they were Cummins for the most part; again a nice feature since parts for those older 8.3 CTA's / big Cummins are easy to find and generally very reliable engines from my experience.

I'd be curious as to how the Madill's stack up against the TB's, probably the most similar machines nowadays; I mean TB was dangerous enough back in the day for Madill to buy them out and then stop production.

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
Craig Carter's TY-90 is headed back to the harbor from NZ as Colburn Timber bought it.
Colburn also bought Tim Brown's TY-90 too.

Chopper95

Curious if I could get a bit of information regarding the log loaders and processors that Thunderbird produced.

Hoping to find out what years the machines were produced roughly, start to finish there about.

And if I recall correctly, there were phases where the in-house machines were substituted for 'import' models due to production issues correct? They were Hyundai (?) machines I believe?

Murk100

Occupation
30 yrs GY Operator
20160418_151448_resized.jpg20160418_151452_resized.jpg20160418_153258_resized.jpg Here is our latest updates, Topping line all from a burnt Madill 122. Fairleads were done last summer all 3 are from Madill 044s haulback fairleads, the slackpuller is from #47003 it lives another day...

JustLogIt

TSY 50 Yarder

It is my understanding that the TSY 50 was the predecessor to the TSY 255. Does anyone know the differences / updates between the two machines?

We currently own a TMY 50 and are contemplating trading in for a TSY 50. Having the machine on tracks along with the 3 walkover guylines should make setup much quicker. With our short sets and low volume per acre, its not uncommon to move and set up at least twice a day.

Serial number of the TSY 50 we are looking at is 5053. Anybody know its history? Any other thoughts or comments on the TSY 50 would be appreciated

DonnyBoy553

This is my grandfather shovel, he was a headloader for weyerhaeuser out of the Cosmopolis yard. I thought I had more photos of his shovel, as well as his sideloaders (ran by "little guy". Last time I saw Little guy was at Craig Carters funeral, anyone know what he is doing these days?) but I cannot seem to find them. Im going to visit my grandpa this weekend, I will try to find some more pictures and the model number.

photo 2.jpg

Last edited: