• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

thumbs

redneck1

I just welded on a 36inch excaliber manual thumb on my 580 super k backhoe. Its the perfect length and width for me, and priced at only $450 on ebay. Won't find a better one at that price. The biggest problem with it is that i have to take off the brace to retract it fully when not in use. I will make a new bracket someday to eliminate that.

FRISKY

Occupation
Retired
I just welded on a 36inch excaliber manual thumb on my 580 super k backhoe. Its the perfect length and width for me, and priced at only $450 on ebay. Won't find a better one at that price. The biggest problem with it is that i have to take off the brace to retract it fully when not in use. I will make a new bracket someday to eliminate that.
Pictures?

case 580sm

Occupation
full time backhoe operator
Hey guys, I like what you bought, but I think i'd be better off buying a hydraulic thumb that fits in the back of my hoe, because the hydraulic thumbs are stronger. how do like yours? Is is strong?

redneck1

I have only used it for loading studwood and moving logs but seems good so far.. I agree a hydraulic one would be much better and likely stronger. I use it all the time and wish i had it a long time ago> it will come in handy for cutting up my firewood this spring< being able to lift the logs up and then bucking them without bending over all day!:)i will take a picture this weekend and post them latter
just as a side note if i remember right when i priced up a hydraulic one this fall from a local machine shop they wanted 3200 for it, don't think that was installed either. way to much for me and plenty others on the internet cheaper