• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Thrown Track on a CAT 941

dmcschultz

Working the CAT 941B today pushing some brush piles and while turning in reverse heard a loud bang and looked down to see the left track was off the rear sprocket. The track didn't come all the way off. It is still on the front idler. Sooo...is this something that I can handle or should I just call the Cat dealer? Does anyone have any procedures as to how to get the track back on.

clintm

Occupation
trucking,concrete recycling,grading, demolition
if have another piece of equipment like a skid steer with forks or backhoe it's not that bad or someone with experience and good chains and coma long's and pry bars

dmcschultz

Thanks clintm, I do have a New Holland TC33 with forks and backhoe attachment. I suspect I'd have to jack up the side of the machine, crib it then get some slack in the track and use some chains and binders.

clintm

Occupation
just get it high enough that the bottom rollers will clear the rails use your forks to push up and back at the same time you may have to chain it across two some thing to hold it in place while you reposition forks get the top on first then back up the sprocket slowly it slip back on just watch your fingers and don't try and force if you can figure out the way it came off put it back on the same way

dmcschultz

clintm and Nige,
THANKS!! Success in getting the track back on. Took a bunch of grease out of the adjuster, jacked it up just past the bottom rails, then "walked" it on with the help of the NH//backhoe and a some chain and a few load binders.

clintm

Occupation
Glad we could help. You will get good at it after a while ( couple 100 times):thumbsup

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Glad to hear you did alright getting it back on! I went thru this on my old Allis, was backing AND turning when it threw a rail. I don't try to turn and back with a load in the bucket now just back then adjust the tractor as I return to forward.
I ended up four hours with com-a-longs, chains, chain binders and my old farm tractor while jacking and blocking the old monster to move the rail, used the two common helpers always with me, all three of us: "Me, Myself and I" to put it back on.