• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Thoughts on brake clean or starting fluid

SE-Ia Cowman

I see a lot of other mechanics using starting fluid for cleaning gasket surfaces and other oil and grease removal on jobs were the part wont go in the hot tank or the parts washer, I like to use brake clean it don't smell as bad and still evaporates pretty fast and seams to be cheaper. I also use a suction blow gun with a bucket of parts washer solvent for the ugly greasy jobs, although I don't like to inhale the misty fumes from the solvent. As for price and brand my Napa dealer buys the 3M brake clean (my favorite) in a 13Oz can by the pallet. I buy it by the case for $2.82 a can which is a good price.

I am wondering what all you other mechanics use ? and why you like what you use?

Old Doug

I use about every thing. But i try to clean it up before i go useing alot of spray. I replace a axle in a c70 that had broke and they towed i dont know how far but it took about 2 days to take the 2speed apart and clean the metal out of it. The rear end didnt have a drain plug. I used a blowgun siphon sprayer to clean the houseing out then i cleaned it with some brake cleaner. It was a cleaning nightmare. I weted rags with solvent and wiped it out several times. This job is at the top of my list for metal shaveing removel. A buddy bought some briggs and strattion parts cleaning spray and gave me 2 cans it was to oily. The place were i worked on the c70 had some all natural orange cleaner it smelled like oranges and was almost sticky. I wipe gasket surfaces down with paint thinner.If i did mechanic work full time i would rig up a portable presser washer. I like to have clean stuff to work with and think it makes a better job out of a repair. Years ago i rebuilt alot of engines. There was a guy about 200 feet from mine shop that rebuilt engines allso one day one of his help ask if i would rebuild a engine for him. I ask why me and not his boss and he said i was alot cleaner. I allso think it is very inportant to wear rubber gloves to keep the solvents out of your system.

powerjoke

Occupation
owner/operator/estimator/mechanic/grunt/ditchdigge
I too like the 3M "hi power" or high performance I forget what it's called, comes in a large black can, don't remember what I give for it but would definatly recommend it to anyone. It's great for starting a fire in the shop stove too lol, a little oil on the wood and a spray of cleaner and boom (sometimes a lot bigger boom than hoped for) lol, it actually has some flame qualities that a lot of carb or brake clean or ether for that matter seems to be lacking nowadays

Pj

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I use both. As for starting fluid, Thrust (made by Gunk/Radiator Specialty) is my favorite. Like PJ said, some starting fluids barely pass for just that, much less as being an effective cleaner. For quick cleaning, like removing oil residue on hydraulic parts, I go with the starting fluid. Works fast and evaporates really fast. If something has a lot of grime, brake cleaner. But watch painted surfaces, brake clean will eat some paints. If something is really coated with goop, I keep a 5 gal bucket with a lid with about a gallon or two of Naptha in it in the back of my service truck to wash really dirty parts out in the field.

overworked

K try to use non flammable if possible, in my infant year had a local fella ask me to help him in a pinch to solder off a tube in his 450C so he cojld finish the job that weekend. Normally no, it was snowing and i said ok, drainded it down blew it out, brake clean and all. Snuck the torch overand holy shet, the whole dozer was melted off, got the fire out, dumped out my shorts, and had lunch, never again. Funny now though. If i only had a video, Ha Ha.

Delmer

Non flammable brake cleaner or practically any non flammable solvent is chlorinated, so be DARN TOOTIN SURE it's gone before welding or heating. I'd rather start a little fire than make a little poison gas from a chlorinated solvent.

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
was watching a car show the other day and they gave a safety tip on brakleen. they said that if youre going to weld on something, to make sure you didn't use brakleen to clean it because when heated, it would release a deadly chemical that was similar to what was used in world war 1. something to think about. :professor

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
The solvent used in chlorinated brake cleaner is Tetrachloroethylene, same solvent used in the dry cleaning process. When heated to temperatures over 599 degrees F it turns into phosgene gas, the same gas used as a chemical weapon in WWI.

Lee (MN)

Occupation
HE Mechanic
I like starting fluid,,,,,,,smells good, LOL, and my boss will buy it by the pallet, if I ask for brake cleaner he claims it's to expensive and I get a six pack. Stoddard solvent and a air sprayer on big jobs.

Lee;)

overworked

So thats why I'm always choking, we repair lots of cracks and damage on logging equipment and always clean out with solvent then heat/burn it dry, smoke realy builds up under welding helmet. Kind of makes me sick acter a short while. Thank you guys, ill have a shop meeting inthe morning for shure, got go go research if know:eek:ops

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Ether is the only think I use for cleaning wiring harness connectors and most parts. Certain brake cleans are prohibited in many states and on some job sites. I used to use the green can brake clean but found out real quick that using it prior to welding makes for some worm holes in the welds once in a while and plenty of nausea if the wind was blowing the wrong way. Ether cleans up with a little flame and you can go back to welding. I used to buy ether by the case for about half the cost of the cheapest brake clean.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
If something is really dirty I use fuel oil to rough clean and then rinse with brake cleaner. I've used ether in a pinch but the fumes and flammability make me nervous.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I quit using that stuff because the residues stay on the metal and when you weld through it you better have at least a respirator. The smell is bad but it burns your sinuses and throat something terrible.

lumpy76

I use start fluid for cleaning. I have even gone through a few cans to clean the catwalks off after a hose goes so the operators don't slip.

fixou812

Occupation
Millwright Equipment Mechanic Welder
Starting fluid for starting diesel engines. Try using wd40 but not some of the other brands
Either will pre detonate before top dead center causing the engine to attempt to spin backwards
you hear that knock as it '"fights" the starter" it differs with different compression ratios.
the first half seems to work best as it is "atomized"
Let's say it's "Really cold" outside battery is cold and you have one chance.
First you may want to remove the outer and or inner air filter.
Then give the. Hoe a snort. If its very cold get out your lighter and deploy the famous....
"Flaming either trick" (never before attempted in an indoor arena)
And if it's a large engine and your passed up try the duel can flame thrower trick .