• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

This will be an interesting thread moving forward......

Vetech63

Not too much to report lately.......except 4 weeks of rain once or twice a week. At least my 2 ponds are back to their proper levels after being down more than 50% from last years drought.

I did notice that there are new decals on the recently purchased Komatsu equipment for the newly established leasing company. The company is called Jet-X equipment leasing.........this tells me a lot. This means that the oldest son is more than likely running this operation. He has always been a pilot and has never been in this business. This should be good..................

With so much rain lately, things have slowed to a crawl for me. I have been able to do some PM stuff out in the field somewhat. Things don't break down when they aren't working so.........:rolleyes:

I did get 2 machines repaired and spent quite a bit on them but there was broken crap everywhere on both. Once I got them done, I was told they were going to trade them off..........so I made an offer on both which was a bit above what they were given on trade value. I had both working perfectly and strong, ..............evidently too good. They informed me last week that they had decided to keep them. Dammit.......not what I was expecting...........I had both of those sold for a decent profit. I screwed myself and didn't even realize it. LOL

AllDodge

I had both of those sold for a decent profit. I screwed myself and didn't even realize it. LOL
Bummer, but been there myself. Just sold my cruiser for less then I wanted to but its gone, new boat comes in next week

Vetech63

Time for an update.

For the last 4 weeks there hasn't been a lot going on due to rain storms every 4-5 days. There has been a few thigs in the yard, but all of it is on the older equipment that I was told 2 months ago was going to be traded off or sold. Yeah.....that didn't happen. Some of it has gone back in the field on jobs without having anything done to them...........I was told not to spend any money on them since they were going to be gone.

I have been going by there and checking in once or twice a week just to keep an idea of what was going on. About 10 days ago I noticed that their field service truck had been removed from the shop, where it has been since I started doing their crap again back in August. I found out today by word of mouth that they have hired a former Komatsu mechanic from the local dealer.

Now, I haven't met the guy yet and don't know a thing about him. All I do know is what I was told today........older fella with long hair and a long beard. I had the normal super call me today about a problem with their 299D not starting and running. When I got there, the operator told me that the new guy (let's call him FKM) had spent 6 hours on it yesterday and had given up..........not a good start. Now it's mine to fix.

I went by the shop and opened up the tool room. A lot of what I had organized has been disheveled and sort of tossed about. I had filters all together for 3 different machines that I hadn't got to yet..........now all of that is mixed in with another 50 old filters I am assuming were in a compartment on their field truck. Part of the filters I had set out are completely missing. My 2 30lbs. bottles of R134 and my a/c gauges are gone.

I am reserving any judgement at this time. My missing equipment may or may not be something he did..........I will find out as soon as I meet the guy. In the meantime, I loaded up what equipment I had there that was mine and hauled to my home. That way there isn't any confusion on what belongs to whom.

Stay tuned. From what I have already seen we may very well have another HNC on our hands. This should get interesting in a hurry.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
I think I would have a come to Jesus meeting w the ah that hired him w/o consulting u first or at the VERY LEAST introduce u 2..
I’d hit up which one I ran into FIRST..
That kinda tells me what respect they have for u.??
Here’s your new home, do with it whatever u want..& don’t pay attention to that other guy here..

crane operator

The refrigerant and moving things around could easily be a honest mistake. They most likely didn’t even tell the new mechanic about the outside mechanic storing any items in their shop. Because that’s not that common.

They probably just threw him the keys to the truck and showed him where the shop was and said get to it.

I could see the new guy thinking the gauges and refrigerant were company property, not yours.

Vetech63

Well, in my 38 years of being in this business.........I ran into a FIRST today.

Cat 299D.......FKM went out on this machine Tuesday for a no start. Replaced a fuel pump that I had already replaced in January (He didn't know, but I don't think he troubleshot this properly anyway) which didn't fix the problem. After 6 hours he gave up.......that is when I was called.

I get there yesterday and after a few minutes I find the ECM fuse blown. I Installed another and it immediately blew......went 5 amps higher.....another blow. I have a super hard short somewhere, so I get the cab up and just as I start troubleshooting, a paver goes down across town. I have to pull off this loader, tell the job super about the paver emergency and off I go. The super says he needs the loader so I tell him I will call Cat field service and see if I can get them out since I have no idea how long I may be. It will be the following morning.

Cat FS tech calls me on his way to the loader, I fill him in on what I know.......he will call me when he finds the issue. 5 hours later I have another paver go down on the job where the loader is. I get there and stop where the Cat tech is to check on the progress. He's flustered pretty good. Said he did find the short on the engine harness and now the ECM is coming on.........but the engine still will not start. No codes after he cleared all of them. He calls 2 other techs for ideas as what to check for. He does a little bit more electrical checking and the job super walks up.

The job super tells both of us a different story than the operator did. The operator said the engine just died. The super said it was running when they started putting fuel in it and that's when it died. So the 3 of us are thinking they either introduced water into the fuel, or DEF.........but since FKM was there first, we couldn't determine if any water had been drained off the filters and could find no evidence of it. No evidence of DEF either.

So, while the 3 of us are standing there thinking of what to do next, I told the tech that we could try a shot of ether. I mean why not.......at least we would know a few things if the engine kicked. We all agreed to try it so I removed the air cleaner lid and the primary filter.

Look at this sh*&..........................
FILTER.jpeg
Someone stuck the freaking secondary filter in backwards choking the air off to the engine. I think all 3 of us said "WTF!!!????" at the same exact time. Flipped it around and the machine started right up. I can't find anyone willing to admit they pulled the filters and put this in backwards. We stood around another 15 minutes laughing our asses off about this entire scenario. All of us took remembrance pics.

Mike85

Had an apprentice do that doing a service on a unit I was replacing an axle on. He looked at me when we found it and said “it slid right in. Why would they make it like that?” I just laughed and told him to slow down and make sure how things look before you go ripping.

Truck Shop

Sorry Vetech but Oklahoma seems to have it's share of idiots. This area has it's allotment also.

I see a up coming electrical issue with that tie strap near those shrink tube but connectors. Someone
should have covered those butt connectors with shrink tube.