• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

This will be an interesting thread moving forward......

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
Let me get this straight. It ran and idled up before the “rebuild “ and then afterwards it would only idle? Time to refer to rule number one when it doesn’t work right- back up. What did you (or them in this case) do?

Welder Dave

Somebody appeared to get a lot of money for something that was or wasn't done and somebody is out a lot money for apparently nothing to match what was actually done. There should be a pretty in depth investigation when you're talking about $15K in repairs that are very questionable if they were even done.

Vetech63

What did you (or them in this case) do
All I can tell you is I know this engine needs work. It doesn't run right in my opinion, is leaking oil, fuel, and or coolant and that is being blown all inside the engine compartment and through the radiator. All I have done at this point it takes pics of what I am seeing. The investigation part of this was so I could possibly determine who may be responsible for any warranty. It is looking like there has been so many hands on this thing that the truth of what really happened from the beginning is questionable. What was the reason that the original engine build failed? How did someone define a burned up engine? Who made the determination?
I have more questions than answers.

crane operator

Lots of stink on this situation. When you get done with the investigation, your client should consider a call to the state attorney generals office with a criminal fraud complaint.

I can tell you, that would be a total waste of time.

And if we're talking a 8-10 or 20-50 million a year road construction business, the $20,000 isn't a big deal, which is shown by their willingness to simply finish the job with the machine before fixing it. At this point- its a consumable. Maybe a flammable.

Vetech63

Well, here is what happened from day 1
Engine supposedly burned up and was taken to the OKC shop. This invoice is for labor only by a self-employed mechanic which is a friend of the OKC manager.
Invoice MPH364R2.jpg
These are the parts bought

Attachments

• M11 parts 1.pdf
    552.9 KB · Views: 37

Vetech63

This was supposedly done in frame..........cylinder head was supposedly rebuilt but no invoice or payment can be found. After this rebuild, the engine would not come above low idle.......so then a call to Cummins, who sends a tech out to investigate. That bill is

Attachments

• Cummins 1st attempt.pdf
    860.1 KB · Views: 38

Vetech63

At some point, the decision was made to send this machine to the Bomag dealer in OKC. After they spent forever troubleshooting the electronic system.............Van Keppel decides to call out Cummins to their shop.
That bill is......

Attachments

• M11 Van Keppel final.pdf
    684.2 KB · Views: 32

AzIron

Somehow I don't find this all that shocking.
Your telling me this whole situation seems like a synopsis of how this company operates.

Furthermore while there busy busy they may or may not be aware of whatever money they may be breaking even on

I think the bigger thing is that in reality equipment repairs may not be there biggest wated expense and equipment in general may not be there biggest under performing investment and they remain keeping doors open

My guess is they will continue on because right now there to big to fail and when the market slows down they cant afford to cut there prices so will be out of buissness a whole month before they know it and it will be in a total wave of slow money work and in paid change orders in a cut throat market add in high interest rates because you know that bean counters finance everything