• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

This will be an interesting thread moving forward......

Vetech63

I had a young guy show up at their shop today looking for a job as a field tech. 25 year old with 7 years of experience with one company. Claimed he could do it all, just get him in their service truck. He was WAYY to interested in this service truck. Not even a hired employee and he started opening the tool bed doors and checking out what all was in the truck for tooling. He said he had all of his own tools....everything Snap-On of course. Continued to claim he could do everything needed, has a 2 year degree in from a diesel school, HVAC license, went to welding school and graduated with honors.

Obviously trying to impress me, just kept on and on about driving this service truck, doing field work, and driving the truck home......even started calling it his truck. He hung around for an hour and inundated me with all this knowledge and experience he had.........7 years, sounds like 5 of it was in schools to me. I was in the middle of installed a new rubber track when he showed up, so I got back on it about 30 minutes later.......he pitched in to help which was fine........free labor. I asked a few questions. He's married wih 3 kids, no dealer experience, and the only experience he has is with one wrecking company. But, he can do it all! After getting the track, he grabbed my grease gun I had sitting there and started trying to put grease in the adjust zert and I let him pump that handgun about 15 times before I told him that you have to tighten the release fitting first. The grease gun runs out of tube grease, so I hand him a new tube. He puts it in and pumps the hand lever about 30 times and can't get grease to come out. It was airlocked and he didn't know what to do. I grabbed the gun, puled and pushed the rod a couple of time, tapped the end and it's good to go.

I begin to take a damaged tubeline off the boom cylinder, he wants to help, so I let him help........no problem there but pretty simple. He then says "Well, have I done enough to show you that I can do this!? I'm ready to go to work right now. Would you consider hiring me on?" F^&K ..........I looked at him and say "Well, I'm not an employee of this company. I'm just a contractor doing repair work for them." The look on his face was priceless.

Sorry, a 25-year-old can't do it all. If you think you can then that's a problem......A BIG PROBLEM.

JD955SC

I had a young guy show up at their shop today looking for a job as a field tech. 25 year old with 7 years of experience with one company. Claimed he could do it all, just get him in their service truck. He was WAYY to interested in this service truck. Not even a hired employee and he started opening the tool bed doors and checking out what all was in the truck for tooling. He said he had all of his own tools....everything Snap-On of course. Continued to claim he could do everything needed, has a 2 year degree in from a diesel school, HVAC license, went to welding school and graduated with honors.

Obviously trying to impress me, just kept on and on about driving this service truck, doing field work, and driving the truck home......even started calling it his truck. He hung around for an hour and inundated me with all this knowledge and experience he had.........7 years, sounds like 5 of it was in schools to me. I was in the middle of installed a new rubber track when he showed up, so I got back on it about 30 minutes later.......he pitched in to help which was fine........free labor. I asked a few questions. He's married wih 3 kids, no dealer experience, and the only experience he has is with one wrecking company. But, he can do it all! After getting the track, he grabbed my grease gun I had sitting there and started trying to put grease in the adjust zert and I let him pump that handgun about 15 times before I told him that you have to tighten the release fitting first. The grease gun runs out of tube grease, so I hand him a new tube. He puts it in and pumps the hand lever about 30 times and can't get grease to come out. It was airlocked and he didn't know what to do. I grabbed the gun, puled and pushed the rod a couple of time, tapped the end and it's good to go.

I begin to take a damaged tubeline off the boom cylinder, he wants to help, so I let him help........no problem there but pretty simple. He then says "Well, have I done enough to show you that I can do this!? I'm ready to go to work right now. Would you consider hiring me on?" F^&K ..........I looked at him and say "Well, I'm not an employee of this company. I'm just a contractor doing repair work for them." The look on his face was priceless.

Sorry, a 25-year-old can't do it all. If you think you can then that's a problem......A BIG PROBLEM.

lol the 25 year old journeyman who has seen everything but the wind blow and been everywhere but the electric chair

its always funny because according to them they’ve done it all and can do it all in a tenth of the time anyone else can BUT you never see them twice. It’s almost like they either beat feet or get fired once their bullshit has worn their welcome out.

When you go to a class there is always at least one or two of these characters who refuse to STFU about how much of an expert they are.

Questionable wizard

He hasn't had enough failures to realize his shortcomings.

Let him down easy, today's generation struggles with with brutal honesty and unpolished people skills.

Someone mentoring him might turn him into a decent apprentice before he bails on the idea.

I had a new 21 year old start this week to help me with lube services and light repairs. Been thru the Diesel Tech program. Four years grain farm experience. Year working second shift at a trucking company doing trailer DOT inspections and repairs. Still watching for bad habits that need broken. I've drilled into his head the job requires good judgement and common sense. He's admitted he's young and has a lot to learn.

Last edited:

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I used to like throwing the experience questions at applicants. Tell me how you would pull the starter out of a D3B. How would you adjust the steering brakes in that D3B. What pressure range of gauge would you use to check the steering in a WA600. Tell me how you would adjust the clutch is a direct drive crawler tractor. Describe how to pull the driveline in a highway truck. Tell me how the shift pattern works on a 13 speed Road Ranger transmission. Tell me how you would change the cutting edges on a big dozer? Same question for changing the edges and bits on a grader. How would you troubleshoot an overheating transmission in a D8R. How about a 450 Deere? Do you know the different between stick, hard wire, inner shield and dual shield welding.

When the wind is out of their sails you usually get straight answers. I usually gain some respect for them it they can answer about a third of those questions. Doesn't mean they would get hired though.

Truck Shop

Years ago foreign car shop I worked was looking for a mechanic. Everyone that showed was in
their words a Smokey Yunick or they wanted you to think. This college kid comes in long hair
looking typical college material. My name is Casey and I'm looking for work and I'll be upfront
I can change a spark plug and that's about what I know. I found out he was a chemistry/math
major. Told him to show up Monday at noon when done with school. And by the way your going
to want to cut that hair {It will get caught in the creeper wheels}.

Turned out to be a hard working smart guy, his math ability was tops. Was a good mechanic, came
from Sitka worked his dads boats.

Welder Dave

Dollars to donuts he was just recently out of school. It doesn't matter if someone has been in a trade for 50 years, nobody knows it all. The best guys learn something new all the time. Sometimes from the new guys too. The big thing is they're willing to listen to the young guys and accept a new or better way to do something instead of being stuck in their old ways.
As far as grease guns, I use the professional Lincolns. With new tube they are usually pretty simple to bleed if they don't right off the bat. Bulk loading the one I use the most can be a pain to bleed sometimes.

Last edited:

JD955SC

Dollars to donuts he was just recently out of school. It doesn't matter if someone has been in a trade for 50 years, nobody knows it all. The best guys learn something new all the time. Sometimes from the new guys too. The big thing is they're willing to listen to the young guys and accept a new or better way to do something instead of being stuck in their old ways.

the problem is people like the guy VeTech ran into are more often than not complete pains in the butt that will not listen…they know it all, or so they think but will drive you nuts with their cocky attitudes.