1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

This will be an interesting thread moving forward......

Discussion in 'General Industry Questions' started by Vetech63, Nov 15, 2021.

1. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
    Heck most way back had dipper rods and no rear main seal-reverse screw.

Vetech63, 56wrench and DMiller like this.
  2. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Kinda Retired
    Ran a White Mustang for a old guy neighbor when was on IL Great Aunts Farm at 16 years old, had the White Gas inline six, take grain to elevator, NO HOIST, put it on tilt table, block it against the backstop, rope a five gallon bucket under the flywheel housing to catch the drain oil from NO rear seal, pour BACK IN as truck came down.

3. 56wrench

56wrench Senior Member

Those early oil filter systems were only a bypass system anyway so the filter media could be almost anything as long as it caught something

Truck Shop, DMiller and Vetech63 like this.
  4. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Kinda Retired
    Like the old Luberfiner Filters, just a chance bypass catch hole.

5. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
    Using someone else's filter does not void a warranty. If something happens that can be traced back to the use of someone else's filter, it can mean that a warranty will not be honored. My recommendation has always been to use factory parts while a machine is under warranty to avoid the excuses to not cover a claim.

6. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
    Absolutely while under warranty.

Really those Luberfiners hanging on the side of a old truck---was a oil cooler and not much else.

Vetech63, DMiller and John C. like this.
  7. Shimmy1

Shimmy1 Senior Member

It seems like we are hijacking this thread, but Dmiller's post about Luberfiner filters made me recall my grandfather's water well drilling rig. He bought it new in 1975. IH Paystar, IR TH60 rig. Powered by a 318 (8V-71) Detroit, RTOO9513 into a (no idea the brand) transfer case that divided power between the rig and the wheels. I believe they ran it in 6th direct. The original engine received Cenex Golden D SAE 30 oil from new. It had a large Luberfiner filter in addition to the double canister filters. The speedometer cable failed at 390k miles. In 1980. It was ran at about that same pace until around 1995. Grandpa had them change oil once a month in the busy time. What eventually did the engine in was my uncle starting it one spring without checking coolant level, and cooked it.

My point in all of this is I've always believed that the Luberfiner filter did more than people give them credit for. It's impossible to know how many hours that engine had, but many guys that knew my grandpa from the beginning said it should be in the Detroit Hall of Fame, if there were such a thing. If I assume 400k miles per 5 years, that's 1.6M miles at I'd guess an average speed of 25 MPH, since the engine wasn't running full throttle all day long, only when actively drilling. That figures to well over 50K hours. It also had an air throttle on a foot pedal that would rev the engine to full throttle when pulling stem or using the load line, I'd guesstimate that it was revved like that dozens of times per day in addition to running WOT while drilling.

I know this sounds absolutely unbelievable, but it happened. And Cenex Golden D oil wasn't even diesel engine oil, it was gas engine oil.

56wrench, DB2, Vetech63 and 3 others like this.
  8. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Kinda Retired
    We opened one Luberfiner cartridge years ago, was used but thought why not. Was full of Wood Shavings and rough dimension sawdust. Surprised the filter ever flowed.

Vetech63 and Truck Shop like this.
  9. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Kinda Retired
    Forgot to add, AFTER I left that shop they got a NEW Toy, Trash service Required ALL Filters be Crushed prior to dumping in trash. Used to allow to sit on a grated drain pan 12-24 hours(Some times a week!) but that changed, a New Kid dumping drain pains put a 750C in the crusher, according to the guys I worked with, the explosive force Dented the Protector shield around the filter and almost filled a Five Gallon bucket of filter media once Decompressed!!!

56wrench and Vetech63 like this.
  10. colson04

colson04 Senior Member

What's a 750C?

Vetech63 and DMiller like this.
  11. Delmer

Delmer Senior Member

The full size Luberfiner bypass filter, big chrome thing hung on the side of 70's trucks.

Vetech63, colson04 and DMiller like this.
  12. mitch504

mitch504 Senior Member

Gulf Coast filters sells large water separator fuel filters, mostly marine, I think, that can use a whole roll of Bounty paper towels as a filter element. They sell the elements, but they say the towels are an acceptable substitute in all their documentation. These filters are expensive, but have a great reputation in the tug boat world. I have one as the first step in my fuel polisher, and it works great.
    http://www.gulfcoastfilters.com/

56wrench, Vetech63, DMiller and 2 others like this.
  13. JD955SC

JD955SC Senior Member

how do the paper towels in such a situation stay intact and not shred and fill the fuel system?

Vetech63, AllDodge and DMiller like this.
  14. Delmer

Delmer Senior Member

It's oil not water, so the paper towel, or toilet paper filters similarly to the paper in any fuel or oil filter.

15. Welder Dave

Welder Dave Senior Member

Some water filters commonly used on plasma torches can use a toilet paper roll instead of the cartridge.

16. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Kinda Retired
    Can remember the first Two Filter head spin on system Cummins sent out with a Bypass Filter, even numbered after the old Can Style, LF750. For FOREVER LF670 main spin on.

17. Shimmy1

Shimmy1 Senior Member

LF777 was the bypass on every 2 filter Cummins I've ever seen.