• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

This will be an interesting thread moving forward......

JD955SC

Still not much
View attachment 270976 View attachment 270977 View attachment 270978
I wonder if I will find the same on the other half tomorrow. If not, this is looking like a bearing and seals job.

SO......what in your opinion would cause this to overheat? ..Enough to discolor the case paint and bond some of the oil to the inside of the case? I have a suspicion, but I need someone to verify something for me...............How much of what type of oil does this eccentric call for by the manufacturer?

cat prefers to use compactor oil. It’s a high dollar synthetic oil. Maybe wrong oil? No drum cooling oil?

I did the rebearing and reseal of an E model vibratory sheepsfoot roller last year, one of the eccentrics sheared the little shaft and produced metal. I ended up having to cut the bearings out with an air hammer and then welding the races to shrink them,

when you go back together if it has dual eccentric housings they need to align properly and that’s done putting it back together horizontally. I made do with a forklift and long guide studs made out of puller rod.

Vetech63

I had another machine down yesterday so I just finished the eccentric tear down today. I found a small amount of spalling today.........not too bad but enough that I am replacing this spindle. The rest looks good so this will be a bearing and seal job mostly. The wrong oil looks to be the issue, double the capacity required and the 90 weight they put in it couldn't cool.
CB64 Spindle.jpg
Parts are 1 week out.

Vetech63

Have you ever had a week where nothing goes right, and you had nothing to do with it? LOL.........well, I'm having one.o_O Monday morning I get a call around 7:45 am.........Cat profiler is down and there are 13 dump trucks sitting, an entire crew standing around, and 2 state and Fed highway construction inspectors twiddling their thumbs. I get there about 15 minutes later to find that the hydraulic rotor belt tensioner has broken the base end cylinder post off. The cylinder is just hanging there by the rod eye. I told the job super there wasn't a lot I could since the broken stud wasn't a replaceable part as it was part of the mount bracket assembly. I go ahead and call Cat parts to verify that I am right which proved to be a challenge. After 20 minutes on the phone and the parts guy sending me email pics of things not even close to where my failure is............he says he is going to get someone more experienced to help me because he has never looked up anything on this type of machine. I finally get someone who knows what a cutting rotor is and the confirm that I have to buy the whole bracket assembly for $1000. I order it next day air out of Morton.

In the meantime, the BIG boss shows up and asks me if he is screwed (LOL.....I'm thinking in more ways than one). I tell everyone standing there that I only have 1 option, and it sucks but we can try it. I took a bolt and welded it to the bracket and used it for the cylinder base anchor.
PM622 old bracket 2.jpg
I didn't think this would last 30 minutes, but I had nothing to lose. It actually held through the entire job, and I was supposed to install the new replacement yesterday when it arrived. Well, I get to Cat yesterday morning and no part. They spend 30 minutes trying to find paperwork on the order I made and finally come back to the parts counter with a supervisor. He informs me that UPS has put a hold on the part, and he doesn't know if it is here local or still in Morton...............and he won't know anything for sure until this morning (TODAY). Nothing I can do but wait. I get a call at 7 this morning that the part will be delivered by UPS this morning at 10:30. I pick the part up and head out to the profiler to install the new bracket. I remove the old bracket and set it next to the new one.........then I notice something.....
PM622 old bracket1.jpg PM622 new bracket.jpg
The new bracket didn't come with the bushings for the pivot pin boss after I was told IT DID! WTF?!! I called Cat to find that the parts guy just missed it:rolleyes:. The machine is scheduled to mill tomorrow, and I still don't have a useable part. No time to attempt to remove the old bushings for reuse, so I had to put the old, repaired bracket back on this dam thing so it can work tomorrow. I feel like I have worked on this all week and got nowhere.
Then Deere ordered me the wrong hose for my downed 250G excavator. :eek:o_O:confused::mad: It just never ends :(

JLarson

Occupation
Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
I ordered two linear actuators Monday afternoon, priority ship, got em late yesterday. Both broken, probably dropped hard by a UPS monkey somewhere along the line. Now the search resumes to find at least one in the US to get the customer back up.